Welcome from Essex, UK

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dales59
Novice

Welcome from Essex, UK

Post by Dales59 »

Hi All,
Just joined. I'm a newbie to the site and HD'ing. My family have a history of wine and beer making and i have dabbled but not for past 20 years.

So, now in mid 50's and bug has bitten to get distilling spirits - vodka , gin etc.

So spent past 1 month watching Youtube, and selected AirStill. Picking it up in about 4 weeks. Seems most appropriate as not wanting to get into
larger T500 etc with water supply etc.

So Airstill appears great solution for a sugar wash and ability to use infusion basket for botanicals to create flavours or to add the bottle format flavours.

My one issue right now and what i want to use forum for initially is to work out if i can put other sugar washes thru it - say using wash created with
alcotec 48 or bakers yeast. Tried asking Airstill Retailer and all i am told is use of supplier yeast, carbon and clear means no heads created. So Airstill
is for absolute beginners. But they wont say if the warnings not to use any other products, is because they think owners are going to be so stupid not
to take heads out, or some technical reason with still.

Looks like lots of nights reading on this forum forthcoming. Any pointers greatly received.

Rgds
D
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Welcome from Essex, UK

Post by Mikey-moo »

Hi Dale, welcome to the Forum! You've come to the best place to learn about distilling at home.

Having said that, you got here a bit late. Youtube has done you a disservice and you have bought very small still which is very hard to use to make anything top shelf. Yes you can follow the manufacturer's instructions (don't believe the bollox about not getting heads on a sugar run though) and use their expensive yeast, with their expensive carbon and their expensive 'clearing products' to make a product that then requires carbon filtering before you finally add their flavourings to make it 'ok'. They'll milk you like a cash cow if you let them. You can put any wash you like through that still, but they won't tell you that because then you'll stop buying their extras.

The up side, you're new and still learning, and using that Air still is pretty much fool proof, so you can quickly start to learn about doing things a better way. As much as I loath posting to links on other forums, this is the best link I've seen about getting the most from your airstill so far. Have a read and good luck to you: http://www.stillsmart.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Check out the Tried and True recipe section here, look out for Birdwatchers Sugar Wash as a very easy and cheap starter recipe. Don't go much over 10% for best flavours in your wash and you'll be doing fine.

Learn to make cuts - it's not easy on such a small still but you can still try. Details of how to are in the link in my signature below along with loads of other good info.

Remember, when you're ready to go bigger we're here to help. Needn't be a T500 either, it's actually quite easy to self build a much better still - pot or reflux, or both!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Mikey-Moo's on a roll and I've got little to add except Welcome To Home Distiller!
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Hi Dale from another Brit,

The Airstill is a pot still. That is it. A little pot still, which will make whiskey, brandy, rum etc. It won't be very good at neutrals, because it is a pot still, which is why as Mikey says "they" tell you to use all those very expensive extras.

Run it, play with it, make up some washes in 25 litre fermenters and then you will be able to collect several runs and do "double distils" if you want to.

Come on in to the main site and read the "Cranky's spoonfeed stuff" - read and learn - take your time and play with your "baby" - then when you're ready, move up. When you decide what you want to make, the info is all here and we will help you.

Anyway, welcome in and welcome to the next step in your "home winemaking" adventure.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Dales59
Novice

Post by Dales59 »

Thanks guys. After Mickey-moo's great reply I spent the night reading and now have double and treble distillation guides.

Forum is so informative.
Already got various washes to try out too. can't wait.

Thanks again.

Dale