Howdy from Alaska,,

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

IntricateBay
Novice

Howdy from Alaska,,

Post by IntricateBay »

We live way out there on Lake Iliamna, we hunt,fish,trap,garden,guide all of the above too. We have been brewing beer and wine making for 30yrs and just aquired a small still and will probably expanded as we get our skills up to par. I enjoy forums and we will contribute as we get stilling! thanks,,
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy from Alaska,,

Post by fizzix »

Saw an Alaskan State Troopers episode recently where they went to bust a guy for having a still.
Nice keg still with copper column. He convinced the troopers he was only making fuel with it and they let him keep it.
He kept telling them it makes ethanol and "you can't drink ethanol."
Too big a state for it to coincidentally have been you... or was it?
Welcome to Home Distiller!
IntricateBay
Novice

Post by IntricateBay »

No that wasn't me (us) on the trooper show, I have been on quite a few hunting show's and video's though,,mostly brown bear stuff!
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

Welcome!
Alaska is my second home, I return as often as I can.
Lived up there in the 80's, hunted moose & bear and fished as much as I could.
I return to SE every summer and usually bring home a freezer full of halibut & salmon.
Be careful, read all the stuff we consider "required reading" and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Stuff like "don't tell, don't sell" and you don't run a potstill with a thermometer.
The rest is there in the links in my signature. Enjoy!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome to HD. I lived in both Palmer and Wasilla for a short time in the 80s and loved it. Summers was noting but work for 10-12 hours, fish for 4, sleep, repeat. Fond memories. :-)

It felt like the Wild West when was there, and I can believe that a Stiller could talk the cops into not busting him. Hell, I was pulled over there for driving an unlicensed dirt bike loaded with lumber down the main highway at “rush hour” ;-). Told the cop I was making new shelves for the house and he let me go and said to ride safely. Not sure why he stopped me just to let me go, but am guessing he just wanted to know, WTF?

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

OtisT wrote:Welcome to HD. I lived in both Palmer and Wasilla for a short time in the 80s and loved it. Summers was noting but work for 10-12 hours, fish for 4, sleep, repeat. Fond memories. :-)

It felt like the Wild West when was there, and I can believe that a Stiller could talk the cops into not busting him. Hell, I was pulled over there for driving an unlicensed dirt bike loaded with lumber down the main highway at “rush hour” ;-). Told the cop I was making new shelves for the house and he let me go and said to ride safely. Not sure why he stopped me just to let me go, but am guessing he just wanted to know, WTF?

Otis
Sometimes it is just curiosity on their part, maybe the trooper is a little bored and down the road comes a bike loaded with lumber!!

I think we have talked before about living up there around the same time in the same places.
Ever fished the Little Su? (Susitna) river?
I helped carry two of the biggest Kings out of there that have ever been seen.
Both of them two man size fish - took two of us to carry each fish. Weighed 105LB and 95LB when we got to the truck.
Hope I never get Old Timers and forget that experience!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

nerdybrewer wrote:I think we have talked before about living up there around the same time in the same places.
Ever fished the Little Su? (Susitna) river?
Yes, we talked about this over BBQed peppers at OVZ's warehouse, speaking of fond memories. :-)

Quite possibly I've been there, but can't say for sure. I fished lots of places in that general area.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, I fished commercially for years in Bristol Bay during the summer.
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

I envy you Alaskans living up at the top of the world every July. Just finding grain and things at reasonable prices I imagine can be a pain up there. You running propane, electric or wood? You ever read the Alaskan bootleggers bible?

Welcome home
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."