Hello from GA

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

kjames
Novice

Hello from GA

Post by kjames »

Hi everyone. Yet another noob from Georgia here. I was an avid home brewer for several years, so I've got a good understanding of sanitation, mash recipes, ingredients, fermentation temp control and the like. But getting good results out of the distillation process is a whole other thing. Starting out with an 8 gallon reflux still (with my old PID controller attached) and the rest of my old brewing gear. Looking forward to diving deep into the knowledge base here!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello from GA

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome To HD Your brew experience will be a great help but there are differences in the process that you need to note. Your old PID controller may or may not work for a boiler controller as we won't be setting a temperature but will be setting a power input at a constant rate which was done in a manual over ride. Good luck and enjoy.

AC
kjames
Novice

Post by kjames »

Thanks, AC. I was wondering about that - I'll need do some research on getting constant output out of that PID controller. I can imagine it wreaking all kinds of havoc with big surges of 100% power. I've got a heavy duty heating plate that will serve while I figure that out. Too chicken to do this with an open flame.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

welcome
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

First thing: ROLL TIDE!
And a Warm Welcome from a neighbor to your west.
:D :D
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey kjames. Yeah, two things that are radically different from the brewing world are sanitizing (not required) and the PID as acfixer said.
PID temperature control will give you poor results. Run that thing manually at worst, or by amperage control at best.
Welcome to you. We'll get it sorted out.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Very similar upbringing here. Homebrewer for decades before distiller. That experience probably drove me toward all grain (from first post-sacrificial batch) more quickly than many, but I had to unlearn a lot of what I knew regarding mash temperatures and sanitation.

Glad your'e with us, now start reading, if your eyes aren't bleeding yet.