Long time lurker first time poster

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Twister67
Novice

Long time lurker first time poster

Post by Twister67 »

Just wanted to say hi. I have been at the home distilling experiment for about 18months now and had had surprisingly good results and some great boozes. But like all of us I want to make it better and understand the nuances. Biggest problem is all of the tech speak. Very basic here and would love any help. Thanks for having a great forum it has been a huge help.
Last edited by Twister67 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lonk time lurker first time poster

Post by bilgriss »

Good to have you here!

It took me a while to absorb all the vocabulary as well. The best approach is read. Read. Read. Pretty quick it all connects with what you are doing, and then one day you just have it. Well worth the time.
Twister67
Novice

Post by Twister67 »

Wonder why every one use ML rather than ounces etc. Makes life difficult when you suck at the conversions
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Long time lurker first time poster

Post by bilgriss »

We have folks here from every part of the world. Most people find it silly to multiply ounces by sixteen to get pounds, and then figure out how many tablespoons that is. But we all mostly use whatever measurement is prevalent where we live.

Google will let you convert right in the search. Just type in "250 ML to OZ" and you'll get a nice converter.

To convert anything to anything (almost) check out https://www.convert-me.com/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome to Home Distiller, Twister!
Here's a Glossary to help with terms.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Twister67 wrote:Wonder why every one use ML rather than ounces etc. Makes life difficult when you suck at the conversions
Why? I was raised on US Standard measures but I personally find metric easier to work with, especially scaling recipes and all the math that takes place after distillation. I think I do less conversions too when I use all metric. just MHO.

Suck at Conversions? Me to. Google is my best friend for conversions.

Many of the calc pages here on HD do a really good job supporting mixed measures within the same formula. ie. Enter volume of your boiler charge in Gallons/quarts/liters to calculate the volume of product collected in gallons/liters/quarts/oz/etc.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Twister67 wrote:Wonder why every one use ML rather than ounces etc. Makes life difficult when you suck at the conversions
I know where you're coming from and I feel your pain.
I have to admit metric is easier if it's what you grew up with.
I'm old and cantankerous and we are who we are.
imperial.jpg
8) 8)
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Twister67 wrote:Just wanted to say hi. I have been at the home distilling experiment for about 18months now and had had surprisingly good results and some great boozes. But like all of us I want to make it better and understand the nuances. Biggest problem is all of the tech speak. Very basic here and would love any help. Thanks for having a great forum it has been a huge help.
Welcome to HD, we like it when you lurkers come out of the shadows, 18 months should have broken you in pretty good, I was once a lurker here for years, then I signed up and these guys made me feel right at home.

Welcome home.

Sit down, take ya shoes off and relax a spell. The tech stuff still gets me, that hydrometer and brix stuff had my head spinning. Those that really want help can find it here. Those that ask for help but don't listen learn the hard way.

I got tired of learning the hard way, it gets expensive. :lol:
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."