Howdy from Oklahoma

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Okie76
Novice

Howdy from Oklahoma

Post by Okie76 »

Hello,

I am from Oklahoma and I know didly squat about home distilling. I am attempting to learn it cause my Uncle's brother in law who used to make the shine for the family passed away last week. He was a good old boy and mode some good liquor. He was a member here too but I don't know his username. He once told me this site got him started and that there was a ton of information for learning. When he passed he left his still to my Uncle, who also is learning, but my Uncle is much older and not to good with computers and the internet so I've been sent to learn for the both of us.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone and to let you know I will be asking lots of questions till I learn what I'm doing. I'm going back to reading stickied posts now.
Tater
Admin

Re: Howdy from Oklahoma

Post by Tater »

Welcome to hd should be able to find everything ya looking for . If ya can ever remember uncles handle or email address let me know and Ill put his name in the Angel's Share group to show respect to his passing.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Tater wrote:Welcome to hd should be able to find everything ya looking for . If ya can ever remember uncles handle or email address let me know and Ill put his name in the Angel's Share group to show respect to his passing.
+1, honoring members is important. Welcome to the forum and I bet if he was a member he has some writin information, recipes, plans, etc. be fun to find them and go over his info. Also if you take a picture of the still and post it maybe someone will recognize it. Another idea is Pm me his email address and I can probably track him down and get back to you with his handle. You would probably enjoy reading comments he made.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Welcome in. glad you could stop by.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Okie76
Novice

Post by Okie76 »

Aaron is his first name. Not comfortable giving out his last name. His wife didn't know his username on here, I already asked her.

His still is made from a stainless beer keg (50 gal) and it has a pipe coming off it going into a second pot about a third the size of the keg, then a tube coming off that pot goes into a third pot. That second tube is copper and spirals in a circle inside that third pot and then comes out the bottom. That third pot I know he puts ice water in there. I filled it up once for him, but honestly i wasnt paying attention to the rest of the process. Wish i had now. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I'm gonna start from scratch though in building my own so I know exactly what's going on. Thanks for the welcome.
Okie76
Novice

Post by Okie76 »

Ill get a pic of his still and share it after the family mellows out some.