New kid...

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Kamikid
Novice

New kid...

Post by Kamikid »

Hi, I'm Johnny, the Kami Kid... from British Columbia by way of the American North West... I am new to brewing and distilling, so far Ive made some Brandy (pretty decent) and a sugar wash shine (not terribly successful but it had booze and it was pretty smooth)

I am interested in learning about the basics, the proper place to start when learning a new skill in my opinion.

I hope to get my hands on a reflux still at some point, but right now I am working on a Chinese made pot still, pretty standard noob equipment.

Thanks for having me! Looking forward to learning.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New kid...

Post by fizzix »

How ya doin' Kamikid? Spoon Feeding is a great place to start for distilling.
It's an eyeful of reading, but gets things settled out pretty well.

Strap yourself in, because this hobby is a helluva ride. I hope you have fun and BE SAFE.
Welcome to Home Distiller!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Hi kid! Good to have you here.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
You've probably already learned a couple basics with the experience you've acquired on your own.
Now its time to read up on the preferred basics.. Time tested,
safe, and efficient.
Your 'standard' noob still prolly needs to be critiqued by experienced eyes, so post pics here or another proper thread.
As long as it's 5ish gallons, doesn't use any rubber or synthetics (water only), copper tubing or mesh for sulfides and flavor, and minimum 1/2" id (5/8"od) on all tubing, you have a workable starter still..Also a non-cycling heat source is needed for smear prevention..Ifn not, I'd correct any of those for safety and efficiency.
Hopefully I helped you with these minimum preferred HD requirements..
Glad to have ya, be safe and have fun.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!