reflux still vs pot still

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjkumpon
Novice

reflux still vs pot still

Post by pjkumpon »

Hello!

I've admired this forum for a long time - it's such a great resource for newbies like me.

I made a reflux column a few years ago, and have experimented a few times with bunk wine, a sugar mash, and then a molasses mash in an attempt to make rum. I didn't take it very seriously until the rum batch - as I was hoping to give away bottles as gifts. To my surprise, the output from my still was a very high ABV (90+%?), but it had virtually no distinct taste. I did some reading and learned that for spirits that have taste, I should have used a pot still.

Flash forward to last weekend. I converted my reflux column to a pot still- and subsequently attempted to distill my first batch of whiskey. My wash was only about 7-8%, and the output of the still started around 55% and soon dropped into the 20's. Now for my questions:

1. Does the % of my wash dictate the ABV coming out of my still? Is a starting point of ~55% normal for a pot still?
2. For what type of spirits should I use a reflux column? Straight up moonshine? If I want my spirits to have a distinct flavor - should I always use the pot still?
3. I raise bee's and have lots of honey at my disposal... and would like to make honey shine. To keep some flavor, should I run this through my pot still... and if so, what ABV should I expect to have in my finished product? (I always thought anything that ended in ****shine was over 90%).

Thanks in advance for your support!

pete
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: reflux still vs pot still

Post by acfixer69 »

pjkumpon wrote:Hello!

I've admired this forum for a long time - it's such a great resource for newbies like me.

I made a reflux column a few years ago, and have experimented a few times with bunk wine, a sugar mash, and then a molasses mash in an attempt to make rum. I didn't take it very seriously until the rum batch - as I was hoping to give away bottles as gifts. To my surprise, the output from my still was a very high ABV (90+%?), but it had virtually no distinct taste. I did some reading and learned that for spirits that have taste, I should have used a pot still.

Flash forward to last weekend. I converted my reflux column to a pot still- and subsequently attempted to distill my first batch of whiskey. My wash was only about 7-8%, and the output of the still started around 55% and soon dropped into the 20's. Now for my questions:

1. Does the % of my wash dictate the ABV coming out of my still? Is a starting point of ~55% normal for a pot still?
2. For what type of spirits should I use a reflux column? Straight up moonshine? If I want my spirits to have a distinct flavor - should I always use the pot still?
3. I raise bee's and have lots of honey at my disposal... and would like to make honey shine. To keep some flavor, should I run this through my pot still... and if so, what ABV should I expect to have in my finished product? (I always thought anything that ended in ****shine was over 90%).

pete
r

Welcome to HD
I approved the welcome but questions that can get lost in welcome centre need to be asked in the proper forums
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

1. My still in "pot mode" produces 60~65%. Typical.
2. Neutrals. Like Birdwatcher's where you want a nice pure alcohol as a base spirit to make drinks such as gin.
3. Mead. Your are a lucky soul to get wholesale honey!

[Edited out erroneous information]
Last edited by fizzix on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

You can make flavored spirits in a column, but you have to make adjustments. You only want 130-140 proof, so fewer plates and less reflux. If you make those adjustments you can make good flavors.
If you are running packed, reduce the packing down to 8 to 12" and then run your rum or whiskey. It will be lower proof and more flavor.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

pjkumpon wrote: 1. Does the % of my wash dictate the ABV coming out of my still? Is a starting point of ~55% normal for a pot still?

pete
Howdy Pete.

#1 = YES. The higher the ABV of your wash, the higher the ABV of what you pull off of the pot still. This is why most spirits have been through multiple distillations, usually 2.

Strip Run: The first distillation of your 8% ferment is called the "Strip" run and you collect "Low Wines" that are somewhat stronger than what you started with. My pot turns an 8% ferment into approx. 35% ABV average low wines. (stronger up front, weaker toward the end of the collection). A 12% ferment gives me somewhere near 40% ABV. Folks often have a lot of ferment and will do multiple Strip runs to collect enough low wines for the next step, a Spirit Run.

The Spirit Run uses Low Wines (and possibly other ingredients) in the boiler. If the ABV of your low wines is above 40%, you should dilute it down to 40 or lower before starting so your charge is not Flammable. My Pot will turn a 35% ABV charge into an average 70% ABV spirits. I typically dilute to 60% for aging.

If you use Reflux, you can increase the ABV of what you collect.

#2. You can use the reflux column for just about anything once you learn how to operate it. I'm gonna generate some rebuttles with this, but here is the way I see using a reflux column. With NO reflux on you have a pot still that is good for stripping anything, is good for making Whiskey and Rum, and is good for macerations like some Gins. With some limited reflux you can "compress heads" on those same Rum and Whiskey spirits and you can also make some good brandy and neutral. With a lot of reflux you can create neutrals and vodkas. I am generalizing and know folks can make just about anything on any still with the right knowledge and ingredients.

#3. There are some honey threads on HD I would refer you to. I think you would loose most/all flavor distilling it. Just don't know for sure.

Good Luck.
Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Best to read through the honey threads. As otis stated you will lose much of the honey flavor distilling it. I think that you
will find most would put the honey in a thumper to maximize the flavor. Welcome aboard.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
With a modular machine you can produce bout any likker known to man.
Just gotta study up and make a successful plan.
Ifn it was easy, everyone would do it.
Post your journey, be safe, have fun.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

OtisT wrote: #1 = YES. The higher the ABV of your wash, the higher the ABV of what you pull off of the pot still. This is why most spirits have been through multiple distillations, usually 2.
WOW. I sincerely apologize for that error, Pete (now edited out). I just learned something. Thanks, Otis!