TimmyZ in the house

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

TimmyZ
Novice

TimmyZ in the house

Post by TimmyZ »

Hi all,

First, thank you all for the knowledge I have aquired iver the last year or so reading this forum. I'm currently running a 3 gal copper still with thumper and worm. (craiglist $150 w/ SS pot, etc) Nice beginner still to learn on. I previously have brewed beer, and progressed to AG. I've run 2 Welches/Sugar
a SF and another is ready to run. I have a funky sour mash of cracked corn, malted wheat, malted barley. I'm pretty sure I didn't get a good conversion rate. I got sloppy on my AG mash procedures and paid for it. I was too aggressive on the first AG corn with no enzymes. You never know until you challenge yourself. But, it's amazing how after the malts were added how it loosened up pretty quickly. . So they did their thing the best they could, inspite of me. Lesson learned. Thanks to y'all and technology for enabling this collective knowledge-base to be available to ANYONE with a desire to learn the diverse skills it takes to be a home distiller.
Now I just have to explain "where did the big paper shredder go?" Uh....I haven't seen it!

TimmyZ
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: TimmyZ in the house

Post by fizzix »

Don't know how to take that last line. I'm thinking either you justified a mill purchase as a "paper shredder" expense, or you ran grain through an actual shredder.
Either way it's hilarious!
That magic enzyme action still blows me away how it turns porridge into soup, too.
Welcome to you TimmyZ!
TimmyZ
Novice

Post by TimmyZ »

Yes, someone on the forum showed me the shredder/crusher.
Honestly, a fun thing to dick with, as I just like to make things.
But, the crush on the corn wasn't fine enough. Maybe twice through next time. I crushed about 7 lbs and it hit overheat limit once.
But towards the end you could smell the motor working HARD. It was a fun retrofit, but I'll wait to tell anyone else to do it. I'm sure my crush was a contributing factor in my AG mash and complicated by my weakass mash process.

TimmyZ
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i think it's time you bought her indoors a new blender for her smoothies so you can use the old one to mince that corn. makes short work of most grains if you are in a pinch.

welcome in, glad you are enjoying the place!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
TimmyZ
Novice

Post by TimmyZ »

I appreciate you taking a few minutes to read and respond to my initial post .

I'm a firm believer in, you can usually learn a hell of alot more from listening than talking. Therefore, while a longtime reader, I rarely post, because all the questions have already been asked and answered. Just dig in and read! Believe me...if I come across some brilliant idea or question that hasn't been asked, y'all will hear from me. Beyond that, thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

The old question is ....if were stranded on an island and could only take 5 albums with you? Damn, Animals is definitely with me, no question! Just an incredible piece of work. Pigs? Come on brother!

Take Care, Tim
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

TimmyZ wrote:I appreciate you taking a few minutes to read and respond to my initial post .

I'm a firm believer in, you can usually learn a hell of alot more from listening than talking. Therefore, while a longtime reader, I rarely post, because all the questions have already been asked and answered. Just dig in and read! Believe me...if I come across some brilliant idea or question that hasn't been asked, y'all will hear from me. Beyond that, thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

The old question is ....if were stranded on an island and could only take 5 albums with you? Damn, Animals is definitely with me, no question! Just an incredible piece of work. Pigs? Come on brother!

Take Care, Tim
5 albums or animals?

1. Chicken 2. Rabbit 3 Deer 4 Goat 5 Pig

Albums

1. Family Tradition Hank Jr
2. AC DC Back in Black
3. Lynyrd Skynrd Pronounced 'Lĕh-' nérd 'Skin-'nérd
4. Buck Owens I got the tiger by the tail
5.Waylon Jennings Greatest Hits or Honky Tonk Hero's 1973 if I had to pick one

Welcome to HD but get a new name. Timmy Z sounds like one of them White Rappers living in his mommas basement. Seriously dude, Distilling is an adult sport. We a bunch of cranky mean mothers protective of territory and ingredients. We got names like Mad dog and Popcorn and my favorite ol Moonshiner, Shimbubby.

Timmy Z just doesn't fit in, change it.