Greetings

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

chiparawe
Novice

Greetings

Post by chiparawe »

Greetings from darkest Wales, UK. I'm a long time home brewer but recently tried some vodka distilled by a friend and loved it. I have just purchased a home made reflux still by someone recommended to me by a friend and having seen his work on YouTube, I can't wait for delivery day. I'm sure I will be learning from you guys and I look forward to the experience.
TDick
Distiller

Re: Greetings

Post by TDick »

Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 429 times
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Good to have you here chiparawe. Welcome to Home Distiller!
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Would that be one of Mr Manning's stills?

Welcome to the forum bach.
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
chiparawe
Novice

Post by chiparawe »

Mike yes it would be and after reading the posts here I’m probably going to regret it. Unfortunately a friend knows him and put me in touch
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

chiparawe wrote:Mike yes it would be and after reading the posts here I’m probably going to regret it. Unfortunately a friend knows him and put me in touch
Don't sweat it, they're not that bad (although he had a tendancy to put silicone tube in places it shouldn't really be). I started with something very similar and found it an excellent learning experience :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
chiparawe
Novice

Post by chiparawe »

Thanks Mike-moo. I’m sure it will give me an intro until I’m ready to move onto something better. I have a mate with a T500 and what he produced was acceptable to my missus so that’s my aim, lol.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. The T500 is another poor choice, out of the box it breaks the rules. I don't let the mention of it go without a warning to noobs, look before you pull the trigger and buy one. Along with YouTube's best corn likker.

AC
chiparawe
Novice

Post by chiparawe »

Thanks AC. I just wish I’d found this forum before I decided to try distilling, I thought I had done a fair bit of research but in hindsight I’ve just done what most noobs do. One consolation is the outlay didn’t break the bank and while I do more research I’ll use my “not that good” until I figure out what would be best for me. As I am only looking at gin and vodka I am leaning towards a Boka but we shall see.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Well don't be bummed. As I said, I started with almost the exact same model from ebay. I cut the through tubes and made a pot still out of it. That then broke, so I bought some pipe and the rest is history :-)