Hallo from Italy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hallo from Italy

Post by Birrofilo »

Hallo,
I am an Italian who recently begun homebrewing.
Homebrewing led me to an interest in distilling, something actually that I have desired during since I was young. Now it's the time.
It's weeks that I study about the various kinds of distilling apparati existing, but I still have some doubts regarding the actual usage of stills, and what I should really buy.
My main interest will be in rum, whisky, and neutral which will be used as ingredients for liqueurs or aromatised vodka.
I am also interested in essential oils extraction.
I live in an apartment.

I will be posting several newbie questions as I never used, nor have a still, and certain aspects of the process are not clear to me notwithstanding the very many YouTube videos and the many documents and forum threads which I read.

I thank you in advance for the support.
Fabrizio
Rome - Italy
TDick
Distiller

Re: Hallo from Italy

Post by TDick »

Benvenuto
Or as we say in Alabama,
"Well hey there! Come on in the house!"

Lots to learn here, best of luck!
:D :D
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome to Home Distiller, Birrofilo.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome!
Be careful about some of those YouTube videos. The majority of them will steer you in the wrong direction. There are exceptions of course.

Your start in homebrewing will be helpful, but there are things to "un-learn" as well. Keep reading and asking questions!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome Birrofilo.

This is just my personal opinion:

Because you want to make Neutrals, you will need a Fractioning still. Many still designs/types will fraction, using both Reflux and Packing in your column. (Boka, VM Column, CCVM, Flute, etc.) The taller the packing (or the more plates you have) the better the separation you can get. The good news is that most fractioning stills can also operate as a Pot still, which is traditional for making Rum and Whiskey.

Make/buy a still that has independent flow control valves for cooling; one for Product condenser and one for Reflux condenser.

I would recommend you find a still that is not too tall (apartment life) that can still give you some fractioning capability when short. Use a column extension to give yourself the extra height only when you really need it.

I use a fractioning still and only occasionally need a lot of packing to make neutrals. Most of the time I run it either as a pot still or with some reflux and only 150 mm to 300 mm of packing for some separation.

Hope this helps get you started. Good Luck. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

Welcome Birrofilo,

Sounds like you and I have some similar interests: rums, whiskeys, an occasional vodka... really to make something else (limoncello :D ), and an interest in essential oils.

I second Bilgriss' comments about being wary of things you find from YouTube. This is a great source for all things distilling. There's a wealth of good info and when bad info gets posted it usually gets corrected by the more experienced folks.

I recently bought and devoured a good book: The Essential Oil Maker's Handbook by Betina Male & Helge Schmickl. It seems a pretty good place to start for such info. There still design best for essential oils is likely not the best one for spirits. Mind you, I have yet to actually make any essential oils... but it's on my horizon.

Enjoy to the forum, read all you can, especially the information in "New to Distillation", ask questions, and be safe.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

Thanks to everybody for the kind welcome.
Yes I am aware that YouTube can be misleading. And it doesn't answer to specific questions.
I have already restricted my choice to a relatively compact column still, probably with CM or LM, and virtual plates (copper packing).
The choice for this kind of stills here in Italy is very restricted. Everybody seems to sell copper alambics, maybe with a column (for essential oils or for some degree of natural reflux), maybe bain-marie, but it's not easy to find stainless steel reflux stills. Lots of simple modified Chinese cookers on eBay for which I have alread read here negative considerations (besides not matching the type of still I look for).
Basically what I find in internet is the Turbo 500, a couple of Russian stills, and the European distributor of StillDragon material (which does not carry the entire inventory).
I understand the shortcomings of the Turbo 500: cost, slowness, and especially the plastic top which severely limits its functioning in alembic mode for stripping runs, or in limited reflux for flavoured spirits, not to mention the unniceness of having plastic in the alcohol flow.
An alternative is a modular StillDragon with packing, useable as pot still and as reflux still. If the cost and size remains manageable that can be the favourite option.
There are a couple or Russian stills that I would like to ask your opinion on, before making the definitive choice.
I would like first to solve some theory doubt I have (I will review all the knowledge before asking the question) then I will begin asking specific questions regarding specific stills.
My interest in neutral-derived liqueurs is actually not less than in flavoured spirits.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

Ciao, Birrofilo, benvenuto.

Did you consider making your own still? I started out like you wanting to buy, but then ended building mine, and I am satisfied of the results.
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

cuginosgrizzo wrote: Did you consider making your own still? I started out like you wanting to buy, but then ended building mine, and I am satisfied of the results.
I did, but I discarded the idea as too adventurous for my first still. Maybe a second still could be self-built. I am normally not good at DIY and generally lack tools so I would have to buy many things.

More in general I want to begin with a tried and true apparatus because if I don't get satisfactory results I know that the problem is just my procedure and not some defect of my still, that will allow me to perfect the skill without some back-thought in my mind that maybe it is just the still which is wrong.