Hello, new member here.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

damon_th
Novice

Hello, new member here.

Post by damon_th »

I’m a UK citizen living in NZ and I’ve just started distilling, although I have been brewing beer for a few years. I’m now off to find some info elsewhere in the forum telling me whether the wash (sugar) I have just used is likely to still be OK to drink /use.

Essentially, I did the wash 2 months ago but, thanks to a variety of problems, I’ve only just been able to distil it. Got 87% and was about to water down to 40% when I though that a lot of bad things could have happened to that wash in two months. It was sealed but it’s been 25 degrees + here for most of that time so no idea what condition it’s in.

Cheers, Damon.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello, new member here.

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD. I'm sure it is fine many go that long to clear it. I have gone longer. Only time I lost a sugar wash it went to vinegar.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, damon_th. Yep your distillate is fine.
damon_th
Novice

Post by damon_th »

Cool, cheers ... actually, my other half reckons the wash was made nearer 4 months ago! Time flies, man.
acfixer69 wrote:Welcome to HD. I'm sure it is fine many go that long to clear it. I have gone longer. Only time I lost a sugar wash it went to vinegar.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole!
Please update how your wash goes. I've got some older than that I need to just RUN!
:) :)
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Got 87% and was about to water down to 40% when I though that a lot of bad things could have happened to that wash in two months. It was sealed but it’s been 25 degrees + here for most of that time so no idea what condition it’s in.

It's already run and at 87%. Not much can survive that environment at high temps. May taste like shit but you took the cuts.
damon_th
Novice

Post by damon_th »

Many thanks. Diluted to 40% and it’s lovely and clear but does smell a bit like paint stripper still (yeah, I did the heads and tails). I might run again before ingesting any though.
TDick wrote:Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole!
Please update how your wash goes. I've got some older than that I need to just RUN!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

I believe those with more experience than I would suggest to let it sit and air a few days.
If it doesn't "settle down", you could always rerun it.
Also, if you are not confident with your cuts, +Yummyrum's Guide and method made a lot of sense to me.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Best of luck!
:mrgreen:
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Welcome to HD. I know what's wrong with it, it ain't got no corn or rye in it. Yep I would toss that sucker.
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
damon_th
Novice

Post by damon_th »

OK, so thanks for the advice. It’s been sitting ‘airing’ and it still has that unmistakable air of nail polish remover and still quit harsh, even with botanicals in. It’s been cut quite brutally down to 3 litres ... so I’m concluding, don’t let your wash sit around for 3+ months, hahaha.

In the meantime, I can recommend ‘buddha’s hand’ citrus fruit for limoncello if you can get your hands on some. Yum! With the added bonus that it looks like you’re making booze out of Sideshow Bob’s head.
damon_th
Novice

Post by damon_th »

TDick wrote:I believe those with more experience than I would suggest to let it sit and air a few days.
If it doesn't "settle down", you could always rerun it.
Also, if you are not confident with your cuts, +Yummyrum's Guide and method made a lot of sense to me.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702

Best of luck!
:mrgreen:
Thanks for this link, much appreciated and very helpful. Love this forum!
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

damon_th wrote:Many thanks. Diluted to 40% and it’s lovely and clear but does smell a bit like paint stripper still (yeah, I did the heads and tails). I might run again before ingesting any though.
Hello and welcome. A newbie here too. You could let it "air out" and that might help. You might want to save what you have and put it in your next run. I have found out early that running things slow and throwing my thermometer away is the best you can do. I use my fingertip to capture a drop and smell and taste. As usual the first few shots need to be thrown away. They smell like finger nail polish. They are dangerous and shouldn't be consumed. The next smells floral to me but is over the top alcohol tasting with a burn to the tongue. The next level smells more like alcohol but tastes more sweet/floral. I have been saving these for next runs. The hearts of the run have a basic neutral smell/taste and you want to keep these for sure. The tails come in smelling first like wet cardboard and then getting very weak alcohol tasting. If you use a hydrometer these may still be 50% and probably should be saved for the next run. A feints run will clean up a lot of that non drinkable product. Much better than throwing it out. Sorry to ramble on. I am under the influence of a fresh dose of sugar shine myself. The home made stuff is more powerful and smoother than store bought for sure.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.