"Cheap" glass bubble column

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

arborden
Novice

"Cheap" glass bubble column

Post by arborden »

Hey guys, I'm a new member but not new to this site. I've been distilling a while and recently started on quality over quantity. This process will definitely be cheaper than buying the column, but will still cost a few pennies.

I currently use a keg still with 1.5in copper that makes a 3ft tall column that has 2 thermometers screwed into it, and is packed with a combination of mesh and ceramic beads. That goes through a T fitting at the top that has the third direction soldered closed and runs down a 1.5ft shotgun condenser that has five lines running through it where it drips into a parrot.

I've had great success where the only issues are leaks from the keg/column union and the column/condenser union, but I was able to patch those with silicon.
Last edited by arborden on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Re: "Cheap" glass bubble column

Post by Bushman »

I moved this post to the Welcome Center as we require all first posters to first introduce themselves. Your post fit the category thus let me be the first to welcome you.