Hello from Ireland!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

The newbiest
Novice

Hello from Ireland!

Post by The newbiest »

I'm Pat, glad to be here.
I have a 30 litre still on the way and a load of dextrose sitting in the shed - can't wait to start distilling! Will be using 1118 yeast, through a Bokabok design still, to see how neutral a final product I can get.

Cheers,

Patrick.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Ireland!

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey nubiest: This is a pretty cool place for knowledge. Please use these pages to get a good understanding of this hobby. It’s all here, even though it’s hard to find sometimes. Do your homework and be safe.
Take care and Sláinte chugat!
JBC
JBC
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

welcome in lad.
Pretty exciting time ahead, don't forget the cleaning runs, easy to miss when you buy one.
Don't be a dick
The newbiest
Novice

Post by The newbiest »

It's being made for me by a "notoriously good" :mrgreen: still maker from the South of Ireland - trust me, he wouldn't let me take it out the door until it was perfect! And that means ready to use. :D
But I'm going to put a practice sugar wash through it - for my benefit in practicing, and to make sure it's as clean as can be!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, I will be visiting your country this fall. Heading to a family members birthday in Norway then planning on a week in Ireland before heading home.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome Pat!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

The newbiest wrote:It's being made for me by a "notoriously good" :mrgreen: still maker from the South of Ireland - trust me, he wouldn't let me take it out the door until it was perfect! And that means ready to use. :D
But I'm going to put a practice sugar wash through it - for my benefit in practicing, and to make sure it's as clean as can be!
never heard of any notoriously good or any still makers here, are you sure he's just not notoriously good according to himself :lol: :P
only messing with ya, never the less I'd still do the sac runs if I were you.

again, welcome in and enjoy the ride
Don't be a dick
MidnightBrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MidnightBrewer »

Hallo pat, from bc, canada here. Glad you joined. I started before finding this place, and finding this place pushed my learning further. I've learned a bit about fruit style mashes, played with multiple yeasts since october last, including 1118-ec. Been learning about racking, and discovered it does affect taste, leaves a yeasty taste behind if you rack it seems. I use both pot still and thumper setups and will share anything i learned with ya. I've been through 9 6gal batches as of today. I've had a bit expensive learning curve and have a chemist buddy who helps me do better. Let us know how ur dextrose trials go. Cheers
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Patrick! My mom's grandma was from Knockcroghery. You've come to the right place to learn. Can't wait to see a pic of your still!

Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Hello Patrick!
Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg
Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 894 times
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The newbiest
Novice

Post by The newbiest »

Swedish Pride wrote:
The newbiest wrote:It's being made for me by a "notoriously good" :mrgreen: still maker from the South of Ireland - trust me, he wouldn't let me take it out the door until it was perfect! And that means ready to use. :D
never heard of any notoriously good or any still makers here, are you sure he's just not notoriously good according to himself :lol: :P
only messing with ya, never the less I'd still do the sac runs if I were you.

again, welcome in and enjoy the ride
Hehe, he's in Kildare, I'm near Belfast - apparently he started by cleaning up old stills as decoration for restaurants and bars - then when the supply of old stills dried up he started making his own (non-functional) stills purely as decoration.
Then he started making functional stills (about 20 years ago) and has been doing so ever since.
I got his details from a friend who gave me a particularly fine bottle of Poitin.
Guy lives about 2 miles down a farm track, nobody anywhere near him - but still insisted we go inside and talk in hushed voices about "his coppersmithing" :mrgreen:
I brought him a picture of this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Copper-Reflux- ... pper+still" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow - he said he'd made a good few like it over the years, with a couple of improvements along the way.
Can't wait to get it at the start of march!

And to the rest of you - thank you very much for the kind welcome, I have a lot of reading still to do...
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

sounds good, looking forward to see a pic of the still once you got it off him
Don't be a dick