Hello from Malmesbury South Africa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

General47
Swill Maker

Hello from Malmesbury South Africa

Post by General47 »

HI Guys

I am very new to this. In the internet lingo I would be referred to as a complete noob.

I would like to learn All there is to know about home distilling, i am still building a small 10l still setup and would like any advise on this please.

if anyone can help me with recipe's for Irish whiskeys i would be much obliged.

gentlemen its a privilege

General47
To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. ~Homer Simpson
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: Hello from Malmesbury South Africa

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD there are a few here from your local. We discourage asking distilling questions in the welcome post. It is for introduction and general chat about you. Anyhow try using the forum google search before asking and if its not there ask away in the appropriate forum. Enjoy and be safe
papstoker
Novice

Re: Hello from Malmesbury South Africa

Post by papstoker »

Welkom Generaal

Hope you enjoy the 'art'. Its great fun. Since you are in die Swartland you will probably want to try your hand at grain whiskeys, but distlling is not just following a recipe. Experiment with different grains. My best results have been with variatiins of UJSSM and sorghum (on advice from Fanus from Port Elizabeth)

Another thing that came to mind - a 10 l still is purdy small. With a 10% abv wash it means you will get less than 1 l of alcohol out, minus cuts, and the effort will be barely worth it. I have a 20 l still and am getting cramped after a year.

Let me know if you need tips on sourcing stuff in SA.

Pieter
Never trust a man who don't drink