Hello and thanks!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mal4545
Novice

Hello and thanks!

Post by mal4545 »

Hello everyone I got a couple of buddies that have gotten into this hobby with what seems to be limited knowledge so I thought I would poke around and learn some things on their behalf, make sure no one gets hurt. So I have been reading, reading and reading for some time now to learn all about safety and methods and wow all I have to say is thanks to everyone here for all the knowledge you have shared - its really impressive how much there is.

They tooled around on keg-pot still for whiskey but just recently upgraded (Christmas present I hear) - its all stainless steel tri-clamp stuff. The boiler is a used keg with a 4" ferrule on top and 5500 watt electric heater. The column has 2 perforated plates followed by a 500mm stainless pipe filled with lava rocks. Above that is a 4" dephlegmater then some copper scrubbies in the bend before a 2"x450mm condenser with 6 copper pipes in it running it a SS parrot.

I don't think they have even cleaned it yet! Anyway thanks again and be safe out there.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello and thanks!

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD!
Good deal..Sounds like a nice machine y'all got there.
The lava rock I wouldn't know about, but copper mesh goes along way..And then you could remove the scrubbies.
Clean it, run it, then let us all know..Keep postn.
Good luck and be safe.
Ohh, and pics :clap:
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello and thanks!

Post by fizzix »

Welcome mal.