New guy from NS

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

rxguy
Novice

New guy from NS

Post by rxguy »

Hello everyone.

I just recently joined the forum, although I have been reading the site and forum for a few years.

Although I am a health care professional now, I have a chemistry background. The idea of making my own beverages came to me several years ago. I'm a little shocked it took this long to start doing it.

I have been making some fruit wine from frozen blueberries and strawberries, as well as some mead. They usually turn out pretty well and people seem to like them.

My first (not so good) still was made from an aluminum pressure cooker (I know) to which I connected a 1/2 inch copper lyne arm that was a few inches long. My condenser was just a 3 foot long 1/2 inch copper pipe in an ice bath. Not the greatest still, but I learned a few things with it. Probably mostly what NOT to do.

I upgraded the initial design to a 20L stainless stock pot and converted my "condenser" to a liebig attached to my outside garden hose. Works much better and got some good stuff from it with 2 distillations. I used this still for several years. Primarily I have been using Odin's Corn Flake recipe with a few modifications here-and-there. I do enjoy a whiskey!

But now, I wish to upgrade my still again. I'm going to use the same 20L pot, and build a VAPOR management (VM) still similar to that described in "The Compleat Distiller". I should be able to use my same liebig. I have obtained some 2 inch copper pipe to make the column and reflux condenser. So now the fun of determining how to attach everything together begins!

Eventually, I would like to use some sort of pump and radiator set-up for the cooling, so I don't use as much water.

Anyway, my plan is to have fun, learn, and try to make some decent whiskey-type stuff!
Last edited by rxguy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bushman
Admin

Re: New guy from NS

Post by Bushman »

Welcome to HD, I am guessing you mean vapor management (VM) still. You made it sound like you knew not to use the pressure cooker but later state you plan to keep the pot?
rxguy
Novice

Post by rxguy »

OOPS!

Yes VAPOR management. Silly typo. I should proofread.

I don't use the pressure cooker anymore. I use a 20L stainless pot. The pressure cooker is in the "museum".

Thanks!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hello rxguy. Good luck with the build, and I wish you the best.
Welcome to Home Distiller!