New Guy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

New Guy

Post by Irishgnome »

Hello from Indiana!

I have visited the site numerous times and finally decided to join the fun.

I’m new to distilling, having ran my still only a handful of times so far.

Currently, I have a cheap-O Chinese still that was gifted to me by a friend.
I am looking to get a larger (5-10 gallon) pot still once I get the basics down.

I purchased and have read through “The joy of Home Distilling” By. Rick Morris. Which I recommend for anyone new to this world.
I hope to get the hang of making decent rakija, fruit brandy’s and some Irish style whiskeys.

So far, I have made some so-so grape brandy, an okay mango honey brandy, a piss poor cherry and an even worse pineapple.
Some of the pineapple and grape runs have been aged with oak chips for flavoring, which after two to three weeks really makes a difference (in a good way).

I currently have a Turkish style raki mash and an apple brandy mash fermenting for a future run.
I also have a Pineapple that has been aging for three months which I plan on running soon.

At this point I have been playing with different yeast, with the hope to find which works best for the desired product.
I look forward to learning from everyone on this forum.

Cheers!
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Guy

Post by MoonBreath »

Welcome to HD from Horseshoe Bend Ky!
Pretty close to southern Indiana here..
Sounds like some interesting stuff..Get good at the basics, you'll discover what (yeasts) works for you thru diligence.
Post your journey ifn possible, and have fun with it.
Good luck and be safe.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome Irishgnome.
I've read that book and it really pushes turbo yeast.
Some folks like turbo, but I never made good liquor with it.
I suggest perusing Tried & True Recipes to investigate some great drinks and the simple yeasts they use.
Soapbox over.

Have fun here at Home Distiller and good luck to you!
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I did use turbo with the cherry, maybe that’s why it was so bad. The grape was two tablespoons bread yeast to one turbo. That actually turned out pretty good. After aging with oak, it as even better.
I have a fruit turbo that I have not used yet.
I’ll make sure to stay away from turbos for future runs.
I was watching the West coast exterminator on YouTube, that’s where I got the idea to mix turbo and bread / bakers yeast.
Ricks book actually turned me onto using other yeasts.
Thanks for the tips and warm welcome.
Cheers
- Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Hoosier Shine9
Swill Maker

Post by Hoosier Shine9 »

Welcome Irish,

for your Brandys (fruit) I would suggest using ec-1118 yeast, works GREAT for wine.

a fellow Hoosier