hello from the desert

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

20literpotstill
Novice

hello from the desert

Post by 20literpotstill »

Hi everyone! New hobbyist from Las Vegas. I've been learning as much as I can about this craft from Google and even taking classes in organic chemistry and physics from Khan Academy. I'm safer now, having made the mistake of doing the secondary distillation starting with as high as 75 proof! I have a bit of a handle on cuts as well, but books and general organic chemistry classes don't give me the information that I look forward to getting from experts like yourselves. I promise not to ask any foolish distilling questions except where it's allowed and appropriate. Thanks for letting me join your association!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: hello from the desert

Post by fizzix »

You want schoolin' we have some really smart people here.
If they can train this monkey to dance, there's hope for everyone.
Welcome to Home Distiller!
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Welcome! I'm in Vegas as well. A spirit run at 75 proof 37.5% is ok, a little high as most would recommend 30%. There is copious amounts of information here and most guys here are more than happy to help including myself. If you need some hands on help let me know.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
20literpotstill
Novice

I mistyped that. I actually do run my secondary at 75 proof. I had run my first two secondary runs at over 100 proof, taking my entire primary distillate and running about 2.5 gallons at full strength. I was lucky to be using an induction cooktop set at 210°, or I might've learned the hard way!
20literpotstill
Novice

I use an induction cooktop as well. I start it out at 320°, keeping an eye on vapor temp. When it gets to about 125°, I know it's about to spit some heads so I dial it down to 210° and keep my Mason jars separated by proof, marking them with batch, temp, proof, jar number and mash recipe. It helps me with future runs, so I can tweak it a little each time. I'll be doing some more runs in May, so I don't have to wrap my mash buckets in an electric blanket. Any help any Vegas shiners want to offer will be much appreciated!
jimmayhugh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jimmayhugh »

Welcome from a Hendertuckian!! :D