Newcomer - Pacific NW

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sharkspirit
Novice

Newcomer - Pacific NW

Post by Sharkspirit »

Hello all!

That was a very interesting signup experience with the anti-bot question! I'm just glad there's no "You've maxed your 5 attempts for today! Your IP address has been blocked for 24 hours!"

My wife and I have been homebrewing beers for about 10 years now and over the last few months, we have been exploring spirits (whiskey, grappa, gin, vodka, rum, and tequila). We love our beers but we've immersed ourselves in it for a very long time and have been wanting a fresh change of pace. We've visited a few distilleries in the area and signed up for a 2 day class to gain a better understanding of how it works. I know that brewing is very different than distilling in many ways but there are a few parallels.

Right now, I'm at the stage of researching about equipment; pot stills vs reflux stills; we really appreciate our vodka and gin over the whiskeys. I do love rum, my wife is impartial to tequila. Our end game is really to expand our knowledge and appreciation of spirits.

Pleased to meet y'all!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Newcomer - Pacific NW

Post by cranky »

Welcome aboard FootHome :wave:
This is a great place to learn and there are plenty of members here from the PNW
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome. You found the right spot to learn all about hobby distilling. A few quick tips from your PNW neighbor:

- Read Crankey's Spoon feeding thread in its entirety. link in my footer.
- Use the "HD Google Search" to search for specific topics of interest. link on top right toolbar.
- The home page is a great one time read through for end to end overview of distilling.
- Check out the Calcs pages from the parent site.

Have Fun. :-) Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hiya FootHome. "Add to the 3rd number..." or something like that in the sign up got me too. It wasn't clear; 3rd number in the sample or 3rd number in the list?
But we're not robots and we're here.
You may find distilling a little simpler than beer brewing.
No hops. No carbonating. No bottle caps or pressurized kegs. Cleanliness, but no sanitizing. Make a (proven) recipe and boil that sucker!

The finesse comes in choosing a still, cleaning it, and learning how to run it.
HD Google Search above, as Otis mentioned, is your best friend.
search.jpg
We welcome you and your wife to Home Distiller!
Hilltop
Swill Maker

Post by Hilltop »

Welcome to HD. Tequila is something I have never played with. Wish you well in your future endeavors. :thumbup:
"Virtute et armis" By valor and arms

Let's keep our country free as God has given us.

"Give me Liberty or Give me Death."
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

welcome to both of you from near Seattle
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, lots of us from the PNW!
Sharkspirit
Novice

Post by Sharkspirit »

Thanks everyone! I work in the IT field, so I'm pretty familiar with Google Search. I've also been a member of the homebrew association and participated in their forums, I understand the frustration when newcomers come around asking a question that's been asked a thousand times already.

Thanks for all the links and references, especially Otis. It's a great start already, been doing some reading for the past couple hours. At first, the whole concept of making cuts was pretty intimidating until I started reading the guides that Otis provided.

Looking forward to hanging around and getting this hobby kick-started!
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

Welcome. There a ton of information here with people that have lots of experience. FYI There is quite few of us PNWers here.