Howdy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

GrainBrain
Novice

Howdy

Post by GrainBrain »

I just joined the HD forum. I'm in the Pacific NW in the USA and own a 3 gallon copper pot still. My first run was brandy using boxed merlot. I was careful with temp, tossed the fore shots and made some barely drinkable liquor. Just finished my second run with a mash bill of 1 lb 6-row malt and 4.5 lb rolled barley. Made 5 gallons of wort that fermented out at 4%. Split batch into 2 stripping runs and one spirit run. Yielded 8 oz 80% ABV; 6 oz 60% ABV; and 6 oz 32% ABV. Will probably toss it all and start fresh with another all grain run. My goal is to make some decent Irish style whiskey. I want to learn all I can.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Howdy

Post by fizzix »

Make sure to stop by our Tried and True Recipes.
There's no reason to be making "just OK" drinks in this fine realm of Do-It-Yourself liquor. We can help.
Welcome to Home Distiller, and have fun!
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Glad you joined us!
Spend lots of time reading. Your first run should have been a sacrificial one, after having done a steam and then vinegar and water run.
GrainBrain
Novice

Post by GrainBrain »

Good catch bilgriss! Yep, did the vinegar run first. Making a new 1/2” x 20’ copper coil to replace current 1/4” coil. Too much pressure was causing steam leaks on the stripping runs. Lots to learn!
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Welcome GrainBrain. Always room for one more PNWer here on HD.

+1 on the advice to start with recipes in Tried & True section. It's not just the recipes, but the processes that are great learning tools and will have you starting your whiskey journey in no time. My favorite recipe in that section is Honey Bear Bourbon, for both the mashing process and end product.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels