Hello all. New to the forum..

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

vinnymarz
Novice

Hello all. New to the forum..

Post by vinnymarz »

Hello,

I am new to the world of distilling, but very excited to get started. I am currently mulling over which direction to go for my first still. I have done a lot of research both online and through books on the subject, watched endless videos and browsed forum topics but this is my first time joining one, and certainly my first post ever. As I don't have any hands on experience, I suspect it will not be my last. Any advice on common mistakes to avoid or things to absolutely make sure and do while getting started would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best,

Vincent
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Hello all. New to the forum..

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome :wave: Start in the beginner's section and read until your eyes bleed . Rinse and repeat . And again . There are few shortcuts . You have to know what you need to know before you need to know it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Truckinbutch wrote:You have to know what you need to know before you need to know it.
Now, that’s a quote I haven’t heard for a while....but, oh how true it is! Good one Butch.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

It comes down to what drink you like, and what still fits that bill.
Here's a great write-up for Choosing a Still. Very thorough.

A common mistake is not going with a Tried and True Recipe.
Often people jump in with some recipe concoction they think sounds good, but when it fails they need help.
The Tried & True Recipes helps prevent that failure.

Another common mistake is not searching for an answer. You'll find the old-timers here will help you with a problem
if you've researched it first. HD Google Search up above is your best friend. Here's how to use it:
search.jpg
Lastly, as the others have pointed out ---READ!

Here's what happens: Find the still you need, make a proven recipe, and boil it until the alcohol comes out.

Welcome to Home Distiller, vinniemarz!
You can do this!
vinnymarz
Novice

Post by vinnymarz »

Thank you for all the great advice and the warm welcomes!

I will definitely read, reread, and likely read again. I also appreciate the links and will explore them thoroughly. I am always one to search for things on my own to try to find an answer and 9 times out of 10, I usually do, but actually having somewhere to turn where I can ask for help when I"m stuck or unsure is pretty exciting. I'm glad to be a part of the community and look forward to seeing you all around the forum.

Thanks again!
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Hey Vinnymarz,

You didn't mention whether you plan to purchase or build your still, but just know that if you purchase a still from a reputable company, your name goes on a list to the TTB. Many stillers prefer to build their rigs to avoid this from happening. Along with the decision to build is the satisfaction of creating a working still that has a personality and output all its own.

In order to keep the learning curve short, many recommend starting with a pot still. A pot still reduces operating variables to a minimum and can deliver solid performance while you learn the other disciplines (yeast, fermentation, mashing, sanitation, etc). If you decide to build, you may want to consider going modular so you can strip in pot still mode, then move to one of the other types of stills (CM, VM, LM)
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Twisted Brick wrote:Hey Vinnymarz,

You didn't mention whether you plan to purchase or build your still, but just know that if you purchase a still from a reputable company, your name goes on a list to the TTB. Many stillers prefer to build their rigs to avoid this from happening. Along with the decision to build is the satisfaction of creating a working still that has a personality and output all its own.

In order to keep the learning curve short, many recommend starting with a pot still. A pot still reduces operating variables to a minimum and can deliver solid performance while you learn the other disciplines (yeast, fermentation, mashing, sanitation, etc). If you decide to build, you may want to consider going modular so you can strip in pot still mode, then move to one of the other types of stills (CM, VM, LM)

I just thought that I would add that the TTB is America specific.
Dantuss
Swill Maker

Post by Dantuss »

There is so much information out there that it is hard to take it all in and find your own direction. Do lots of reading but most of all figure out what your goal is to make then focus in that direction. :)
My Build 2" CCVM
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=68341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
My still up and running 1st and 2nd runs Yahoo!
https://youtu.be/KYZUiHw79vY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
vinnymarz
Novice

Post by vinnymarz »

Thank Twisted Brick, that's a great point.

I am (was?) leaning towards buying my first still as I don't know that I have the technical skill to confidently build the reflux still I want. With that said, building it myself, going modular and starting with a pot still may be the way to go.

Thanks for the heads up.