Hello from Cayman Islands

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

kingrupe
Novice

Hello from Cayman Islands

Post by kingrupe »

Hi, my name is James and I live in the Cayman Islands. Despite being a Caribbean island, where one would think Rum is made on street corners, there's not much by the way of home distilling here, as far as I can tell. I have no distilling or home-brewing experience but I've always been interested in learning. I bake bread, which is the closest I come to knowing anything about yeast.

I was tempted to dive right in, buy a still and all the mash ingredients in bulk, and and get going but I've now reconsidered and I think I'm going to read as much of the forum as I can and slowly gather equipment and parts until I can fashion something together myself. My biggest worry with this approach is starting handicapped with poor equipment and then never managing to get past the beginner hurdles and quitting before making something half decent. Anyway, from what I've read on here so far, this forum is probably the best place to start, regardless.

Cheers.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Cayman Islands

Post by fizzix »

Your mature reconsideration comes right outta the advice playbook!
Jump in blind, and suffer. Research here instead, and you will be rewarded.
Spoonfeeding is priceless reading and will answer so many questions.
HD Google Search (above) just may also become your best friend:
search.jpg
Welcome to the club, kingrupe!
You can do this.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome King , building your own still is a rewarding business, in times to come you will probably glad you chose to do it that way.
Making Rum can be as complex or as easy as you choose to make it, Being a bread maker you all ready have one of the required ingredients, bakers yeast works fine for rum.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome and good idea, my son in law actually got me started and when I saw his still I thought I could do better. This forum gave me the knowledge and confidence to do just that. Good luck and be safe.