Hi, new member from the Ozarks of Missouri.

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brum
Novice

Hi, new member from the Ozarks of Missouri.

Post by Brum »

I’ve been enjoying the posts on here for a while now. Some very informative discussions going on. I’m what we all call a newbie to this fine craft. I’ve not begun distilling just yet, but am near the end of some major research into equipment, ingredients, and old style techniques. I’ll be working with whole grains only, not interested in using packaged essences. If I decide I need flavored liquor, I have Juniper trees, Elder berry, plum, peach, and blackberry growing here on my land. I also have a 370-foot well that brings up cool and crystal clear fresh water. As a backup, there is a year-round spring just down the road. I have hundreds of white Oaks of varied ages growing on my land for aging purposes. I’ll be offering small sections of the hearts of these White Oaks for sale for aging and flavoring purposes soon. Distilling for personal use, up to 200 gallons per year for a household of two people, is legal in my state of Missouri. Pleased to meet you. Brum
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi, new member from the Ozarks of Missouri.

Post by fizzix »

Hey, Brum. I'm just northeast of you near St. Louis.
All-grain is the hoot! Don't give up on sugar washes though, we got a few good ones around here that don't require essences or other make-up.

Good luck on your journey, and Welcome to Home Distiller!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Check that the Junipers are the non-toxic variety!

Geoff
The Baker
Brum
Novice

Post by Brum »

The Baker wrote:Check that the Junipers are the non-toxic variety!

Geoff
Hey, thanks for the good advice. I recognize this one, it's a upright tree-form Juniper, the Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana). Awesome gin base. I'll have to fight the birds off to score any berries. Brum
Brum
Novice

Post by Brum »

fizzix wrote:Hey, Brum. I'm just northeast of you near St. Louis.
All-grain is the hoot! Don't give up on sugar washes though, we got a few good ones around here that don't require essences or other make-up.

Good luck on your journey, and Welcome to Home Distiller!
Thanks for the welcome. I've seen some interesting sugar wash recipes in here, I'm sure I'll try some. Ive got to put these Elderberries to use. BTW, I live on Elder Lane, which gets its name from the thousands of Elder berry bushes growing all over my land. There was a moonshiner's still set at the head water of a spring that used to be on my land. He was famous for Elderberry shine. The spring got plugged up and rerouted under ground back in the 60s by a rogue skidder dragging a huge downed oak. I've been in touch with an excavator to see if we can find the spring again. later, Brum.
conejo148
Novice

Post by conejo148 »

Welcome to the group. Surprised no one has mentioned that regardless of the state law, it is absolutely, 100%, without argument illegal to distill in any state without the proper permits. Don't want to see anyone get in trouble due to mis-information. There's probably a few other threads here explaining this already.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Welcome to the forum
Recon your familiar with these sayins
"Ya can't get there from here, first ya gotta go to _____________"
"Ya get more land fer your money in the Ozarks, Ya can farm the top and all 4 sides"