New Guy South of the Red River

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

dewdrs
Novice

New Guy South of the Red River

Post by dewdrs »

Hey guys and gals,

Following the format I read in the "Welcome Center" you can read a little about me below:

New to the craft, about 8-9 months in. Decided to add a hobby to keep me busy in my impending retirement.

Exploring the possibilities...may want to become a distiller in my next life. Recently started visiting distilleries in my area. Studying a number of topics, best packing, amount of packing, column height, filtering, ageing, etc.

Already used several recipes found on the forum under tried and true including Birdwatcher, Gerber, All Bran plus several found elsewhere Corn Flakes, Corn Meal...all sugar washes but recently completed one all grain (all bran 10% cornmeal 80% and 10% crushed malted barley). At the point where I want to tinker with some recipes of my own and add to my skill base.

Built a still from a 16 quart burpee pressure cooker (max capacity 4 gal) with a simple copper condensing coil, added a thumper, removed the thumper and recently upgraded to a modular copper column of my own design so I can use as a pot still or water management still. Best results so far 175 proof on an All Bran. Still working out some kinks and brewing up some upgrades including a recirculating water resevoir with a peltier cooling system.

Relocating within the next year so no plans for any new equipment. Don't have a permanent site to set up shop. Working in the garage...so will work with what I have until relocation is complete.

Holding up my end South of the Red River. :)
Dew Drs - Cheers!
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Guy South of the Red River

Post by Yonder »

Howdy, neighbor an welcome.
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Sounds great! Funny you should mention a Peltier junction as I was considering how to make one
to fit a condenser worm. Surprised there aren't any out there.
But that's for another post. Welcome to Home Distiller!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Welcome :wave: Keep us posted on your progress .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

welcome dewdrs,
assuming that the red river you are talking about is in Ky? used to do a lot of climbing in the red river gourge.

welcome and be safe
OVZ