New Learner

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

8531jarhed
Novice

New Learner

Post by 8531jarhed »

Hello to all and thanks for allowing me the opportunity to study up. I've been reading through the threads for a while now and it dawned on me that I haven't made my obligatory new guy post.

I'm a former jarhead near the AR/MO line. I'm at a stage in life where I'm banged up bad enough that I have more free time to explore different interests. I was a journeyman plumber for about 10 years after I got out of the Corps and have tried my hand at many other fields to feed the family or that just appealed to me. I love learning new skills to combine with well established ones. A perpetual tinkerer. 57 half finished projects... that sort of thing.

I truly believe that knowing how to make "fuel" is a skill that needs to be passed on. Unfortunately I'm also at an age where gleaning insight from those who could have taught me is no longer an option. I mainly just want to learn the tradition. I appreciate having y'all around to pick yer brain if I get stumped on something.

As far as my equipment goes... I've got a half barrel keg and 2" copper column 30" long w/ a Liebig. I recently got a 3 gal ss milk can for spirit runs or smaller mashes/washes for recipe development using the same column. I did get a heating element and built a PID controller yesterday to steer it so I don't have to mind the fire so much but still can if I need to. I'm on the hunt for a 1/4 keg just to have more options but they are harder to come by lately.

Once again, thanks to all for the opportunity.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." ~ A. Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: New Learner

Post by fizzix »

Hey jarhed! Good on you for reading, and I'm glad you've got a still together.
You're in the right place for help & answers, and we can get you on the "fuel" train soon enough.

Consider this your first lesson, though: PIDs are great for controlling temperature.
But unfortunately stills are controlled by POWER input, and not temperature.
You'll drive yourself nuts trying to do it! Mixtures boil at different, dynamic, changing temps,
so there's no "magic number" to dial into.

But that's for a proper thread, not the Welcome Center.

I want to thank you for your service. And Welcome to Home Distiller.
8531jarhed
Novice

Post by 8531jarhed »

Thank you fizzix. I hope to learn a lot as I go.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them." ~ A. Einstein
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome aboard, jarhed!

Starting with a 1/2 keg is a good move, and keep on your search for the pony keg. Mine is the shorter/wider variety and has proved more versatile than the tall/skinny one as a boiler (and eventually thumper).

As far as your 57 unfinished projects, I think I got you beat.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome from a little to the South of you.

First things first: Thank you for your service!

Lot to learn here and folks here to help.
In addition to Cranky's, the Distilling 101 thread gives you some great insight.
Then pick a Tried & True. It will save you tons of headaches.
:D
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

Welcome jarhead from the PNW.

Semper Fi
MM-Brew
Novice

Post by MM-Brew »

Welcome jarhed from the PNW

[color=# Semper Fi /color]
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Welcome!!

Sounds like you have the skills for building with copper, Now you need to learn all the others needed for safe distilling - read until your eyes bleed and then continue to read. Seems like I learn something new with this wonderful hobby every day.

Have fun and be safe
OVZ