About Time,

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

1960FL
Novice

About Time,

Post by 1960FL »

Well it’s about time, been a member since 2012 and I followed the instructions the best I could, see I am Polish and Dyslexic and it takes me a long time to read, I’m still working on the required stuff but hey maybe by Christmas I will I’ll get to Odin’s 20 page thread on T&T Gin :-0. Truth is just what I said, took a couple extra years to get through engineering school do to Dyslexia, so I don’t like to write and my brain goes 100 mph, if you get my forum name then you know some of what I’m into besides lickher. I’m trying to follow the rules and tell you a little about myself.
Skills well if it can be made from metal I will make it and I have the tool and machinery to do so that’s my biggest hobby, I try not to solder I’d rather tig weld the copper. I did some work for my brother several years ago and as a thank you he bought me a MH turbo column (what they now call the dual purpose tower) and some other parts, I have expanded on that, built a Pot head and a few different size boilers and heat controller that runs manual or PID. I have a small 5 gal all copper alembic that was given to me by someone in the industry and I added a Liebig to the swans neck so I can use it like a modified pot. All that said within a month of getting the package from MH that my brother bought me I got the famous TTB letter LOL, so I try to lay low. A little family history, the dads dad was the guy in the Hamtramck Polish neighborhood that made Whiskey or is it whisky WTF, my older bro is a career liquor guy with 20 years at B-F, JD; my younger also a technologist like me is one of the best brewers I have had the honor of drinking for free with. Honestly he applied science, art and passion but like most of us has family responsibilities that hold us in our grind. Me? Yes technical from many angles and I like to make shit and I like Bourbon and I like at least 100 proof. My dream was to make a nice batch for my 60th but it looks like time is running out if I don’t get it in the barrel by December. Like most that play here I have fooled with sugar washes and old donated homemade wine and other stuff to run the lawn mower on. My younger bro is really pushing me down the all grain path and it is fun especially once you get the science and start to play with yeasts and grains and techniques. Since I use direct heat I am currently working on a false bottom design for my big (1/2 keg) boiler that I made a milk jug top for so all my other stuff fits to play with so I can run with the grain in. Well that’s about it but since I have all this Sugar and NGS laying around I am on the path of GIN because you can only use so much Neutral to light the camp fire with. You know they say whiskey drinkers like Gin so I am going to give it a try and for what its worth that 20 page thread is a nice read.
Rick
Attachments
About says it all
About says it all
Bushman
Admin

Re: About Time,

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, sounds like you will fit in well with the forum members. Looking forward to seeing pictures of some of your projects.
Yonder
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Yonder »

Bvery warm welcome and the best of luck on your project. Great to see such dedication. :wave:
Double, Double, toil and trouble. Fire Burn and pot still bubble.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

About time you said Hello!
Welcome to Home Distiller all over again.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome!
You remembered your password?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to the forum , I see your favorite toy is 58 years old ....38 U is my oldest.
1960FL
Novice

Post by 1960FL »

"bilgriss" Welcome!
You remembered your password?
bilgriss I log in all the time just don't say much my dad always said "listen twice as much as you speak and you will no twice as much in the end"

Bill
" Saltbush Bill " I see your favorite toy is 58 years old ....38 U is my oldest
My collection is amounts to half my age mostly newer stuff ( 1970's to 1990's) some projects mostly all HD but i do have a second love for Austrian's with a couple KTM in the mix. I think i have 11 on the road currently and getting ready to put my first Hack on the road. I do linger over on the ADV forum and moderate at flowbenchtech. All my hobbies involve working with my hands and mind.

Thanks for all the worm welcomes I am sure there are a scolding or two to come one i start running my mouth..

Rick
Last edited by 1960FL on Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

Welcome to the forum, a bit of advice is to include members names in quotes
You can make sure of this with the preview function in the full editor
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
1960FL
Novice

Post by 1960FL »

should be better now.
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Your dad's quote reminds me of "measure twice, cut once".
1960FL
Novice

Post by 1960FL »

Since i am not sure of this forums etiquette i thought i would ask, Is this an OK place to post about what i have what i made what i am fooling with etc.?

Rick
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Nah, you need to venture out into the world. There is a "My first" forum for that, or general novice distillers, until you get comfortable. Just make a new thread there. It's cool. You'll get the hang of it.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fiddleford »

You could but you should post it in the Novice Distillers section
If its your first time fooling around with something and your wanting to tell people of it put it in My First
Don't be shy to include details :thumbup:
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
1960FL
Novice

Post by 1960FL »

Thanks, not to uncomfortable with Forums as i moderate for one, just tryin to follow the rules and stay away from the Curt comments, like i said been here a while have read allot and to be honest an still amazed at some of the questions i read and, and i though i had a comprehension problem...

Thanks for all the warm welcomes i have lots of projects in the shop i'm working on so i will go off and start a thread on my chit.

Rick