Kiwi in Spain

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Korsarioak
Novice

Kiwi in Spain

Post by Korsarioak »

Hey all,
Im based in san sebastian in spain, brewing vodka and gin. keen to meet up and learn the trade better. want to start working with apples as have massive access both here and in NZ so if anyone has some good tips always welcome.
Also am thinking about taking it to the next level and actually making it to sell if anyone has a business plan or where to buy good value stills for small commercial use. am using a 50L keg still at the moment and wondering how hard it is to go bigger.
thanks and have loved reading all the comments and stories. you guys are awesome.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Kiwi in Spain

Post by still_stirrin »

Korsarioak wrote:...want to start working with apples as have massive access both here and in NZ so if anyone has some good tips always welcome...
Welcome aboard.

Nobody knows apples like Cranky. Go to the Fruit & Vegetables forum and look for his "fruity goodness" thread. Much good info there about his experiences.

Be saf. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, Korsarioak.
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Greetings and welcome in.

Btw..Cranky also made a great starter thread (spoonfeeding), link is in my signature.
It will provide you with a lot of basic knowledge about distilling.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Korsarioak wrote:Hey all,
Im based in san sebastian in spain
If you see our pukeko in Spain don't be surprised, there is some speculation that the bird was brought to NZ before the Taupo super eruption in 125 AD and wiped out the people who brought it there. So if you see one let me know.

Back on topic...your basically fermenting an apple cider and distilling it to "Apple Jack" Jacking just means boosting the alcohol content and this can also be done by freeze concentrating, which by the way is legal...because it's not distilling. Here in the US this was the traditional method of making it, and they could get the ABV up to 40% just by freezing. It's also called "Apple Brandy" I'm not sure if this is not just a marketing name for a retail product. Follow the rules when adjusting your Starting Gravity for a distilled product, apples can give you a lot of sugar so dilute it back to below a potential of 10% ABV or you will still get a bitter off flavor in your spirit. Check what "Cranky" uses for yeast. You are close enough to the UK to get specialty cider yeast from there, cider is a big deal in England, homemade and commercial. I have done this a few times, I prefer grain spirits, so I now freeze boost our cider to make homemade apple cider vinegar, which has an intense, wonderful apple flavor and is also legal to make. We have our own apple trees and a couple of neighbors let me pick theirs. Enjoy your efforts and keep us posted as to how it turns out...Kiwi
Getting hung up all day on smiles