Hi. New guy here...

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Eau Claire
Novice

Hi. New guy here...

Post by Eau Claire »

... from the PNW, & I’m located north of 49 degrees.

I’m on 5 acres of mountain side. We planted a good sized orchard of apples, pears (European & Asian), cherries, plums, nuts and berries. We dry a lot and we can a lot. But this year, after many years, we had a bumper crop across the board. So, it’s time to realize the old plan from when we first bought the property & make good use of all that fruit that’s not already been made into dried snacks, granola, and jam.

I’m a whiskey guy, mostly, but with all that fruit I’m looking to make some brandies instead. I did my research - including on this forum - and I chose to buy a still out of the box: a nice, all copper 6 gallon pot still with thumper and worm, from one of your great New England craftsmen. I’d be happy to let you know the maker, if you wish.

I’ve got three carboys of wash on the porch standing by: pear cider, apple cider, and a plum/blackberry combo wine.

This weekend the plan is to do the vinegar run, followed by pure water.

I’ve rejigged the workshop to create a harvest kitchen in one corner, & prepping the pad outside to set up the still. With all the canning we do it’s no problem to round up 15 or 16 500ml jars to do the cuts with. Today I even got my wife excited about joining me in the blending process, adding bits of heads and tails to the hearts to come up with a tasty brandy (yes, she’s something).

So, thanks for the forum. I’ll be looking forward to reading what’s going on & applying it all to my process.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hi. New guy here...

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Welcome from another PNWer.

Sounds like you are on the right track but don't forget to do your sacrificial alcohol run before you run your precious fruit washes. If you don't want to make a cheap sugar wash for it just buy some cheap alcohol ( wine or real cheap vodka, dilute it down to under 50 abv) oh and read this site until your eyes bleed :D I learn something new here everyday.

OVZ
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Bienvenue / Welcome to HD from a fellow Canuck from Ontario

You are fortunate to have all those fruits available, you're in for some good brandy.. don't rush in make the brandy, and learn from the best who is Cranky.. read a much as you can from his posted threads..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Now that's a fine introduction!

Yes don't forget the final sacrificial alcohol run after the vinegar clean in that new still.
It's all in a link I've placed below if you have questions.

I predict you're going to have a fun time here. Welcome.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Welcome Eau Claire sounds like you are on your way to making some fine Brandies. :)
Keep us posted on how things turn out. and pictures are always welcome
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Eau Claire
Novice

Post by Eau Claire »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Welcome from another PNWer.

Sounds like you are on the right track but don't forget to do your sacrificial alcohol run before you run your precious fruit washes. If you don't want to make a cheap sugar wash for it just buy some cheap alcohol ( wine or real cheap vodka, dilute it down to under 50 abv) oh and read this site until your eyes bleed :D I learn something new here everyday.

OVZ
Thanks for the heads up OVZ. Definitely I'll be on it. Reminded my wife what I'd read on these pages about not being greedy & letting the process be what it is to bring us to an eventual good product. Being a fine baker, herself, she gets it too. Reading away...
Eau Claire
Novice

Post by Eau Claire »

StillerBoy wrote:Bienvenue / Welcome to HD from a fellow Canuck from Ontario

You are fortunate to have all those fruits available, you're in for some good brandy.. don't rush in make the brandy, and learn from the best who is Cranky.. read a much as you can from his posted threads..

Mars
Hey Mars, thanks for the welcome, eh! Yes, in spite of all the years fighting the deer, and the forest, and blackberries I do feel very fortunate. Something good is going on & I'm looking forward to a winter of experimentation. I'll be reading all the Cranky posts I can find. Thanks!
Eau Claire
Novice

Post by Eau Claire »

fizzix wrote:Now that's a fine introduction!

Yes don't forget the final sacrificial alcohol run after the vinegar clean in that new still.
It's all in a link I've placed below if you have questions.

I predict you're going to have a fun time here. Welcome.
Hey Fizzix. Thanks for the link. Didn't expect you all to be so supportive right out of the gate & it's pretty cool. This is what the internet should be all about! Looking forward to the learning curve ahead. Cheers!
Eau Claire
Novice

Post by Eau Claire »

BlackStrap wrote:Welcome Eau Claire sounds like you are on your way to making some fine Brandies. :)
Keep us posted on how things turn out. and pictures are always welcome
Thanks BlackStrap. Good to meet you. I'll definitely post pictures then. I hope the fine brandies come sooner than later - I set the bar kind of high by introducing my wife to some Calvados and Slivovitz ("Oh, that's really nice. Make one like that!"). :P
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Eau Claire wrote:

Mars
Hey Mars, thanks for the welcome, eh! Yes, in spite of all the years fighting the deer, and the forest, and blackberries I do feel very fortunate. Something good is going on & I'm looking forward to a winter of experimentation. I'll be reading all the Cranky posts I can find. Thanks!

I’d happily help with the deer problem, say every fall?
Eau Claire
Novice

Post by Eau Claire »

hpby98 wrote:
Eau Claire wrote:

Mars

Ha! Yea. Black Tail here. I can see an outdoor stew pot & rounds of shine in the cool air!
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hpby98 »

Eau Claire wrote:
hpby98 wrote:
Eau Claire wrote:

Mars

Ha! Yea. Black Tail here. I can see an outdoor stew pot & rounds of shine in the cool air!
Be right over !