Hello from vietnam

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Burrowed Spirit
Novice

Hello from vietnam

Post by Burrowed Spirit »

I am based out of Washington state. After 5 years of fine dining bartending and the sale of my house I have decided to pursue a long lasting dream of distilling craft spirits. My great grandfather was a rum runner during prohibition while he ran a printing press in Alaska. I learned this at his wake in 2011 and decided I wanted to build a still, with limited funds I purchead a bunch of 3 inch copper pipe to create a still. With no knowledge in hand I silver soldered something this forum could call a still. (Thank you YouTube but not good enough). I never did anything with it... life got in the way I went to school for design and the copper set for 8 years. I sold my house but before that happened I fully redesigned that still head. It is now 7 feet tall with hand pounded copper alimbic bubbler plates separating 1 foot copper junctions in between 3 inch by 8 inch tall glass sites (x3) with Tri clamp connections. I also have a 3 inch, 1.5 foot long dephlemator with 5, 1/2 jacketed pipes on it(way oversized... oops) It can be a pot still or a reflux without the plates or less copper pipe connected. I’m way in over my head. I’ve connected it to a 15.5gallom keg to steam clean it after citric acid soaking And cleaning the whole thing. I will always be humble I started making liquor with a pot with the lid reversed and ice on the top. I’ve done hundreds of hours of research .ive been traveling south easy Asia to reasearch there rice whiskey concoctions.
Last edited by Burrowed Spirit on Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Great if from vietnam

Post by Twisted Brick »

Welcome Burrowed Spirit! You've come to the right place. With copper skills and background like yours, you should fit right in here. Maybe soon under Column Builds you can post a pic of your rig and let us know what you like to drink and plan to make.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from vietnam

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, Burrowed Spirit.
I'll echo what Twisted Brick said, and I think we'd all like to hear about that rice whiskey!
Burrowed Spirit
Novice

Post by Burrowed Spirit »

I’ve stayed with local fisherman in Hoi An Vietnam for a while along with locals in in Laos near the golden triangle.all the while getting deeper into the “moonshine scene” but never making it myself. There are variations and soaked additives for what they call “strength” etc etc. I’m still new, where should I post that stuf as to not drag on here on my welcome page. Please and thanks I’ve got plenty to talk about.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome from another member from the Evergreen State. Will be interested in following your posts!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Burrowed Spirit wrote:I’m still new, where should I post that stuf as to not drag on here on my welcome page
Welcome to HD..

To post.. go to the Board Index, select a topic suitable for the thread you intent to post about, then click on "Newtopic" (top left side), get it a title, and away you go..

Sure interested in hearing some of your adventures..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein