DIY rum making

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

RumForestRum
Novice

DIY rum making

Post by RumForestRum »

Hello! I have a background in physics/chemistry and design/art and am planning and preparing for making rum in a simple home made setup. It just seems a nice combination of all the things I am interested in. And I guess there is a special chemistry between rum and art which I would like to further explore (I studied the combination a bit, and like a lot of work where the two meet). I am always making stuff, I teach design/rapid prototyping in university of applied sciences (Europe), but also at home I like to experiment en try. So I like to make as much as i can all by myself and I have quite some tools and stuff around. I love the forum and all the information I already found on it which helps me get some first ideas. I don't know what I will be up to exactly but this forum seems to me the place to find knowlegde, encouragement, or whatever needed along the way. And if I can share some knowledge or skills to help anybody else, this would be great.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: DIY rum making

Post by Expat »

Welcome Rumforest,

Sounds like you have the right skills and interests to have a great time learning and enjoying this hobby! You've definitely found a he very best place for information.

Don't forget to check out the "HD Google Search" function on the top bar of the page; it's the very best way to find what you're looking for. It's very likely someone has already asked the same question. Failing that, reach out and ask.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Irishgnome »

RumForest,

Welcome to the web for stilling info.
Have fun and be safe!

Cheers,
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
RumForestRum
Novice

Post by RumForestRum »

Thanks for the welcomes. I was already reading a lot, I think I will start with something like viewtopic.php?f=16&t=72983#p7554116 which I will be able to make myself. This will give me some first options to experiment with basic stuff, flavors, ingredients, ... :)
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, RumForestRum!
Home Distiller has some great rum recipes and if I can do it, anyone can.
Best of success to you on your journey, and we're glad to have you here.