Hello from the Macedon Ranges

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

iamkeiran
Novice

Hello from the Macedon Ranges

Post by iamkeiran »

Hi everyone

Long time drinker, first time poster. I am Keiran, living in the macedon ranges in Victoria, Australia. I have always been a huge whiskey fan, recently travelling to Japan to sample all their amazing whiskeys, and recently i've gotten into the craze of Gin. My mate, who is a wine maker in the region, and I recently bought an alembic still and made our first gin last week from some of his grapes on his winery (old stock). It was pretty amazing for a first attempt and I am keen to experiment with local botanicals, try new things.

Every Wednesday, now that Game of Thrones has started up again, we plan to have GOT GIN nights where we watch GOT, make GIN.

Looking forward to reading all the great tips and tricks to hone my GOT GIN making skills.

Cheers,

Keiran
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Hello from the Macedon Ranges

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome kieran .
Heaps of good info and folk around here . Several might be your neighbours . :thumbup:

Gee , if you think Gin made from a Pot-stilled wine base is good , wait to you get a reflux still and clean it up to neutral then do your potstill gin run .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

I recently tried making gin using a pot stilled grape spirit and was very pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out, so I say don't knock it if you haven't tried it, Yummyrum. Right now, I'm in the process of putting down a large ferment using my brandy leftovers for use as gin base spirit.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Welcome, iamkeiran!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Beautiful place to live.

I'm near the Murray on the alternative route to Brisbane.

Geoff
The Baker
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

G'day mate I'm about an hour west of ya, cordial welcome to the forum. Few blokes make gin from pot stilled grappa. There is a distillery over near the Mornington doing just that even though it has a column still there collecting dust and it's not bad but I think it could improve out of sight by using a better still for a better base. I believe there is a gin distillery around Mt Macedon too but I don't know anything about it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
iamkeiran
Novice

Post by iamkeiran »

Thanks everyone for the welcome! There are a few local gin distilleries, small ones, in the Macedon ranges. I have tried out a recipe and I think mine may be better than what they sell :P I may be biased though.

@The Baker, my folks own a winery on the murray near Rutherglen. Great place to be!

Can anyone help recommend where I can post for some advice when making an Orange Liqueur? I want to make sure I post in the right place.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Ok well you have a few options depending on how you make it. The obvious first choice is in Fruit and Vegetables but recipe development would be ok if you are still developing it and if it is a finished spirt that is then flavoured then Flavouring and aging would be ok.
Without knowing your process I'm going to say Fruit & Veg is the more appropriate sub forum for a fruit liqueur :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin