New to forum

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

JoeMcQ
Novice

New to forum

Post by JoeMcQ »

Hi All just introducing myself , Joe I am in Panama and enjoy drinking Gin and the different flavours so much that I want to learn how to make it eventually from a grain mash

Looking at a T500 mostly because it’s easy out of the box and I don’t know where to obtain the materials in Central America at the moment.

Looking forward to learning heaps
acfixer69
Global moderator

Re: New to forum

Post by acfixer69 »

Welcome to HD Joe. Lot's of great stuff here. Read around a bit before pullin the trigger on the T500. It might be right for you but there are better rigs out of the box. Good luck and stay safe.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Hi Joe, welcome aboard. Before you buy a still stop and do a bit more research, and ask any questions that you might have.
Ive been down the T500 path my self so know a little about it.
I also make gin.
The best and easiest way is to have both a reflux still to make the base spirit , and also a pot still for the gin making process.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Hey Joe, where you going with that still in your hands? ....sorry...flashback.. :oops: :think:

You'll see the mantra "READ" a lot on these forums because it's the best way to ingrain learning.
Take notes, and use the Google Search... box above to find answers. It's a pretty powerful search tool.

I think you'll like all-grain mashing... at least, I associate it with true backwoods distilling.

Good luck to you, and Welcome!
JoeMcQ
Novice

Post by JoeMcQ »

Thanks guys for all the replies, my wife surprised me with a T500 and also bought the Alembic top for the T500
What a great Xmas surprise I have a bird watches wash underway and have spent the last several weeks reading up on this forum it is a amazing resource.inwill keep you posted
Fivey
Bootlegger

Post by Fivey »

Well that will get you started off JoeMcQ - use the Google Search box at the top to find topics relating to people getting the most out of the T500, the problems they have had so you can be informed and maybe avoid the headaches, I think there has even been stuff about replacing plastic parts and non-PTFE seals. IIRC there isn't a power controller that ships with the T500? That might be the first accessory you need to get yourself - as I say, see what the experts recommend in the existing T500 threads...
Black Hearts
Novice

Post by Black Hearts »

Hey, welcome mate. Also in Panama. Where about are you? Bocas?
The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage..