Howdy from South Africa

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

johannesdj
Novice

Howdy from South Africa

Post by johannesdj »

Hey guys! Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Johannes Otto and I am new here and new to distilling. I have just about seen all the videos that I can but I am looking forward to getting some questions answered by the pro's. I will be building a 100L LP Gas burner Copper still with a 2" modular reflux column and a 2" shotgun condenser. The idea is to get it built right from the beginning so that I can add to it as we go. I would appreciate any specific topics that I can read on in the meantime as I get the design done.

Thanks
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Re: Howdy from South Africa

Post by Yummyrum »

Welcome to HD forum.

Tri-clamp modular is definitely the way to go . :thumbup:

As far as good reading goes ... search “Crankys spoon feeding “ ... that will put you in the right foot .

Oh damn ... open wide :ebiggrin: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Seriously though ... this forum had an amazing google search feature that can find you a needle in a hay stack .
    HDNB
    Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

there is lots of great build threads here too. if you want to be inspired try Dan's flute.
    I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
    Saltbush Bill
    Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

johannesdj wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 am I have just about seen all the videos that I can
    Then you probably have about as much bad information and garbage floating around in your head as you can fit, Forget what you have watched and start reading and learning here to get the real facts.
    Sorry about the negativity , but that's how it is .
    johannesdj
    Novice

Post by johannesdj »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:50 am
    johannesdj wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 am I have just about seen all the videos that I can
    Then you probably have about as much bad information and garbage floating around in your head as you can fit, Forget what you have watched and start reading and learning here to get the real facts.
    Sorry about the negativity , but that's how it is .
    No problem, I appreciate the comment. I had to start somewhere and one of the videos actually suggested this forum so it's not all bad I suppose. :D
    johannesdj
    Novice

Post by johannesdj »

HDNB wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:31 am there is lots of great build threads here too. if you want to be inspired try Dan's flute.
    Hey thanks for commenting, I have searched the tag but can't seem to find a specific post. Do you maybe have the link?

Thanks
    johannesdj
    Novice

Post by johannesdj »

Yummyrum wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 am
      Welcome to HD forum.

Tri-clamp modular is definitely the way to go . :thumbup:

As far as good reading goes ... search “Crankys spoon feeding “ ... that will put you in the right foot .

Oh damn ... open wide :ebiggrin: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Seriously though ... this forum had an amazing google search feature that can find you a needle in a hay stack .

WOW! It surely is a spoon full!

Thanks
      Setsumi
      Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Hallo Jahannes, ek is ook van RSA. baie welkom. hope you enjoy your stay. and strongs with your build. if you have a 100lt boiler, try and get 3" pipe. the larger plumbing supplies sell but above 54mm you need to buy a 5.5m length. i bought my 76mm copper pipe with 2 friends. scrap metal places my help you with stainless steel.
      My first flute
      My press
      My twins
      My controller
      My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?
      DetroitDIY
      Site Donor
      Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

johannesdj wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:42 pm Hey thanks for commenting, I have searched the tag but can't seem to find a specific post. Do you maybe have the link?
      I think this is the one HDNB was thinking of...

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21774
      johannesdj
      Novice

Post by johannesdj »

Setsumi wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:34 am Hallo Jahannes, ek is ook van RSA. baie welkom. hope you enjoy your stay. and strongs with your build. if you have a 100lt boiler, try and get 3" pipe. the larger plumbing supplies sell but above 54mm you need to buy a 5.5m length. i bought my 76mm copper pipe with 2 friends. scrap metal places my help you with stainless steel.
      Hi Setsumi, Thanks for the response. Where about in RSA are you? I am basically looking at the 2" mainly because of cost, and with going 3" everything goes more expensive for me. I am currently using 1" to "stook mampoer" with success so the 2" build will definitely be more than enough for now. I know I know, but this whole mampoer thing got me into doing a lot more research and now I am loving the entire process. Maybe I will just draw a complete comparison and decide from there. Thanks
      Setsumi
      Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Johannes i am in the central free state, yes the big city. i understand cost and 54mm pipe you can buy in meters. a 54mm potstill will do you just fine and on a 100lt boiler i will add a thumper. if you want a reflux column in 54mm, use your 100lt boiler to strip once and run the low wines on a 50lt beer keg and 54mm reflux column.
      My first flute
      My press
      My twins
      My controller
      My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?