Niagara Rocks

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Walshie
Novice

Niagara Rocks

Post by Walshie »

Hello from St. Catharines! I'm a 53 yo father who's kids have moved on in life and I'm sick of mowing the lawn. I've watched Moonshiners and want to try it so for my last birthday the family got me an 8 gallon ss still with 1 gallon thumper and condenser off Amazon. Surprisingly the kit doesn't seem too badly constructed. Looking for advise and trouble shooting as I get into this.

My first run on the equipment was some old cherry wine that distilled down nicely and pairs well with 7UP.
zed255
Distiller

Re: Niagara Rocks

Post by zed255 »

Welcome! I'm about an hour and a quarter away from your area, near Brantford. Hopefully Moonshiners! was just piqueing your curiosity 'cause it is not tutorial. Lots of good info here. Read through the newbie section and the parent site wiki pages to get you started. Enjoy.
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Welcome Walshie,

You're definitely close to many of us, GTHA here.

You've landed in the single best source of information for the art and science of distillation at home. As Zed advised, unlearn anything you've picked up from that show; all you need is already here.

Have fun, play safe!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Walshie »

Cheers boys. Schedule is tight so first mash in is July 18 - 15 gallons, cook the Saturday after. Perusing the site I've already learned a couple of things. I think I'll do a stripping run first.