Hello from Ohio

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Still Alive
Novice

Hello from Ohio

Post by Still Alive »

:wave: Hello All,

New to the hobby, located in OH. Focused on creating a homemade rye recipe. Reading the boards avidly and trying to soak up as much as i can! Lots of great info here!

Bought a Brewhaus- Essential Extractor Pro Series II- Complete Package.

One day may decide to build my own but figured starting here would be safe from a build perspective and be a good foundation for learning and allow both pot and reflux.

Planning to do an all grain george washington rye using BIB mashing/cook technique.

So far I've completed-
Water test
Vinegar run
Sacrificial Run- Cheap Wine & Water
Initial George washington rye run, low yield due to heavy sedimentation. 45% abv hearts
Sugar wash run with turbo yeast in reflux- high yield 93/94% abv
2 subsequent George Washington runs ~50% abv hearts

Plan is to collect hearts and maybe some tails or heads and redistill 5 batches of the first run rye distillate together to make something i can put in my 5L charred oak barrel.

We will see how it goes!!!
Last edited by Still Alive on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soft batch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Ohio

Post by Soft batch »

Welcome fellow Ohioan!
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: Hello from Ohio

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are well on your way down the rabbit hole. Enjoy.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks: