Hello from the beginner!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

theBEARD
Novice

Hello from the beginner!

Post by theBEARD »

Hello brothers distillers. My name is Dalibor, I’m from Macedonia, and I want to thank you all in this community. Guys, without your experience and sharing I wouldn’t have been able to start my new hobby. Thank you very much!
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from the beginner!

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

Welcome tB. What type of product are you looking to run?
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Thank you WithOrWithoutU2. I would like to learn all about All Grains and Single Grain moonshine. Here in my country is very common and traditional people to make Rakia from grapes. I want to do it other way, I want to make it from grains (like bourbon, whiskey and scotch). I did a lot of reading here on forum in past 2-3 months, and I still have a lot to learn, every day I’m learning something new. You guys are awesome, It’s very easy to learn when you guys share so much information.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

tB. Best of luck on your journey. I look forward to hearing more during your journey.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Welcome Down The Rabbit Hole!
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

I'm making very pleasant Brandy out of my fathers homemade red wine. Also I have made one terrible and stinky Bourbon, that was my first try and I learn that rushing things in all grain is big mistake. First mistake was that I have used raw corn seeds instead of cracking them or grinding them, second mistake was that I have skipped the part of drying and lightly baking my homemade barley malt, I just used it like a green malt, and my third mistake was that I have used baker’s yeast. The whole process was mistake and smelled like vomit. Now I have US-05 beer yeast (that’s best I can buy in my country), I’m nearly finished in building better still (I was using improvisation of 2 gallons pressure cooker with Copper worm coil before, heated on stove top plate 😆), now I have made 1”1/4 riser column reduced to 3/4 over 1/2 liebig condenser which I’m going to test it on same 2 gallon pressure cooker before I invest in beer keg or SS milk can. With wife, 3 boys and dog I’m on limited budget for my new hobby 😆. Thank you brothers for building this community, and I highly appreciate your support 🙏
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum, Dalibor
theBEARD wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:02 pm.... and my third mistake was that I have used baker’s yeast.
Using bakers yeast was not a mistake. It is a much used yeast by many here, including myself.
The whole process was mistake and smelled like vomit.
The vomit smell is well documented on this forum. The mistake is kicking the can over, or distilling it, instead of waiting until it transforms into pineapple smell, which is very pleasant and desirable.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome to the Forum Beard.....There are many here who are happy to help you on your journey.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

NzChris like I said, I have a lot to learn from you guys. I have to admit that actually baker’s yeast did the job great on sugar to alcohol conversion, and after fermentation I liked the taste of it (on taste was similar to white wine, not like vinegar) but smell was very bed. Also I distilled it on day 15 while still was bubbling (1 bubble on every 40-45 seconds). I have diluted it to 35% and it’s waiting to be redistilled with other low heads and tails from other brandy and whiskey/bourbon distillations.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Thank you Saltbush Bill
silverbean
Novice
Location: Downunder If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes.

Post by silverbean »

Welcome Dalibor, I'm new also and just learning. May I suggest you look at the "Tried and True" recipes to get you going. I have just started the UJSSM whiskey which cost very little and everyone seems to be able to make a 1st class product.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Silverbean I was thinking to start with UJSSM first, but I have changed my mind because a lot of experienced home distillers said that AG is way better than UJSSM. I agree with you that it’s easier to start and learn with easy recipes.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

AG isn't way better than UJSSM because it's easier, it's way better because it tastes better.

UJSSM is way easier to start and learn with. The first S in UJSSM is for Simple. It does make nice product and is great for learning how to do cuts before you invest in your first AG.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:50 am AG isn't way better than UJSSM because it's easier, it's way better because it tastes better.

UJSSM is way easier to start and learn with. The first S in UJSSM is for Simple. It does make nice product and is great for learning how to do cuts before you invest in your first AG.
Brother I would like to start with Uncle Jesse’s Simple Sour Mash only thing about UJSSM which puts me in doubt is the quantity of sugar in it. Can you please help me with your experience by answering my 3 questions, please? 1. Can I use or is it better in quality to use brown instead of white sugar? 2. Does it has to be corn or I can use barley, rye etc, ? 3. I think I have to be very consistent with UJSSM up to generation 5-6. I think I can’t leave finished fermentation to sit longer then 2 days. Example: I cannot go to vacation with family and leave mash in fermenter not to be distilled and refreshed.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

theBEARD wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:07 am Silverbean I was thinking to start with UJSSM first, but I have changed my mind because a lot of experienced home distillers said that AG is way better than UJSSM. I agree with you that it’s easier to start and learn with easy recipes.
You might take a look at Jimbo's EASY 1/2 Barrel Wheated Bourbon and Gumballhead

All Grain, you can play with the mashbill - and it gives you the Gumballhead as a bonus.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Hey Beard,
This is the welcome center so I won't answer your questions in depth here, you should go to the right forums to discuss it.

Short answer is: flavor is personal. Only way to figure it out is to experiment. But yeah you can swap sugars and grains.
And if your ferment is under airlock it should keep for a good while, a little lacto doesn't hurt.

Welcome, and have fun!
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Corsaire wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:47 pm Hey Beard,
This is the welcome center so I won't answer your questions in depth here, you should go to the right forums to discuss it.

Short answer is: flavor is personal. Only way to figure it out is to experiment. But yeah you can swap sugars and grains.
And if your ferment is under airlock it should keep for a good while, a little lacto doesn't hurt.

Welcome, and have fun!
Thank you brother! I’m new in forums, but soon I will figure it out, where to discuss and how to search for already discussed topics. Your short answer was very helpful 🙏 .
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

NZChris wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:50 am AG isn't way better than UJSSM because it's easier, it's way better because it tastes better.

+1...

All Grain typically costs more and requires more time, space, equipment and time. From your post sounds like the boys would chew up your money and time, and the wife would chew up the space. So learning on a "flavored sugarhead" like UJSSM is a good idea until you get the process with your still repeatable. When you get UJSSM right you will not regret it. Then move onto AG for more complex flavors.
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

theBEARD wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:29 am

Brother I would like to start with Uncle Jesse’s Simple Sour Mash only thing about UJSSM which puts me in doubt is the quantity of sugar in it. Can you please help me with your experience by answering my 3 questions, please? 1. Can I use or is it better in quality to use brown instead of white sugar? 2. Does it has to be corn or I can use barley, rye etc, ? 3. I think I have to be very consistent with UJSSM up to generation 5-6. I think I can’t leave finished fermentation to sit longer then 2 days. Example: I cannot go to vacation with family and leave mash in fermenter not to be distilled and refreshed.
1. Use any sugar you want. I use dextrose instead of cane sugar. Each has a slightly different taste which you can easily research about on here.
2. Use any grain you want. Some will have more flavor than others so you may need to adjust amount.
3. You can leave it for weeks if you keep it air tight. You can also stretch out the time to ferment by controlling amount of yeast and temp if you need for it to ferment out slower.

Suggestion....Read the tried and true recipes. All of them. You don't have to read all the post in them, but try to read at least 2 pages worth of each. This will give you a VERY good idea of the different types of sugars and grain combinations that have been tried. Then you will also figure out how some can be swapped out on your own.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Welcome sir. As you have already witnessed, you are in the right place.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Thank you ALL once again! My journey will be even more enjoyable with all of you guys in this community by my side.
theBEARD
Novice

Post by theBEARD »

Ok brothers here I am again. I have started a UJSSM as you all suggested, I made the recipe on 27.07.2020 in the morning and placed my fermenter in my basement where temperature is 20.5C, on 28th there was no activity in bubbler, on 29th there was very little activity 1 bubble on every 45-50 seconds. Same day my PH meter has arrived, I have checked and PH was 3.31, I have stirred it well and I put a couple of egg shells in the mash (because that was the easiest and fastest PH buffer I could find, was preparing for vacation with family for that night), after 3-4 hours I was counting a bubble on every 8 seconds in air lock, that night before I left my home I have checked the fermenter again, there was bubble on every 3-4 seconds. Today when I came back from vacation I checked my UJSSM mash, no activity in airlock, it smells like vinegar, egg shells are softened and they look like Small plastic bags, PH is 3.37. What should I do with it? Dump it and start all over again or I can fix it somehow?