Hi from Chilliwack, BC

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

MrSchmidtty
Novice

Hi from Chilliwack, BC

Post by MrSchmidtty »

Hi everyone. Got interested in home distilling from my father in law as he is Russian and been making moonshine for sometime. Just got my first still and am very excited to get my first run on the go. :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Hi from Chilliwack, BC

Post by HDNB »

welcome in, hope you enjoy the forum
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
MrSchmidtty
Novice

Post by MrSchmidtty »

This forum is awesome. So much to learn, but so much fun putting it all in practice. I'm starting out with a 30l stainless boiler with a 2" copper reflux tower from North Stills. After doing a bunch of reading on here I definately should have built my own or just held off until I knew more about it. CM stills are a little frowned upon on here but Im still super stoked to do my first stripping run today. I went with the simple mod suggestion and put a T in the water supply with ball valves to each condenser so I could more easily adjust the inputs. Thanks for all the great info boys.
Liam_Hagen
Novice

Post by Liam_Hagen »

Welcome Mr.Schmidtty.
Up in the Shed
Novice

Post by Up in the Shed »

Welcome to the forum! This place is the Best and has pretty much all the answers, in some form or another. Enjoy the first run!
Up in the Shed

---20 Gallon EHERMS, 2" Pot Stil---
MrSchmidtty
Novice

Post by MrSchmidtty »

First stripping run underway!
IMG_20200821_095444.jpg
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Welcome to HD from a fellow canuck from northern ontario..

We have to start somewhere, some are in a hurry some not so, in the end it all mean nothing really other than some experience at slowly down, which will be required in learn about the hobby.. as there is much to learn, understand and comprehend...

Ok.. a few point to you should do.. suspend your water line to you PC.. this will take pressure off the PC setup.. remove and junk the plastic at the end of the take off.. make one out of copper or ss.. wrap the boiler dome gasket with TPFE tape as it is silicone..

And thanks for the pictures, which was of help in identifying a few issues..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Welcome. Love the custom insulation on the boiler. Amazing how many new members are running a water jacketed reflux condenser.