Glad to come aboard

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Glad to come aboard

Post by Squirrel_Ess_Gen »

Hi all, first off I want to say that I have been lurking here for about 3 months solid and another year on and off. And between this site, Jessie,Geoege,Randy and others on youtube I think I have a firm foundation on which I plan to build.

I have read the necessary reading and even purchased a book or two. But as we know nothing replaces experience

Got my first birdwatches finishing up now and it's way over due (10+) days but I figure it's because it's in air conditioning.

Look forward to learning alot more and thanks
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Glad to come aboard

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome squirrel.
Jess is the only youtuber worth watching.......mostly the others teach bad habits and dangerous or wrong practices.
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Thank you very much. I figure I can fumble thru this.

It's amazing we have way more information available at our finger tips then the generations before us.

8Gallon pot with combo combination tower.

Weill stick to vodkas untill I hone everything in. Then move on to Ag vodka. Will make some UJSSM or Sweetfeed to put on wood and look back on if I have improved.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Squirrel_Ess_Gen wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:32 am 8Gallon pot with combo combination tower.
Welcome to HD..

Acquiring a still is the easy part.. developing knowledge, understand, and comprehend of the four categories of the hobby is a requirement..

Here's what is required..
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79989

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Squirrel_Ess_Gen
Novice

Will definitely keep a notebook

I even ran into my 1st problem. But I know this is a long game and I'm all in.
Up in the Shed
Novice

Post by Up in the Shed »

I highly recommend trying Teddys Fast Ferment Vodka or Deathwish Wheat Germ... they are similar. I consistently can get it dry to 0.994 in a 4-5 days or less, cool it to clear, and you can be running it inside a week or slightly longer.

Enjoy the hobby. I love Jess's videos too. Seems like he relies heavily on information from this forum, doesn't force his opinion, and always errs on the side of safety.... And is ok to share his failures.
Up in the Shed

---20 Gallon EHERMS, 2" Pot Stil---