Hello from US South

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

instillonight
Novice

Hello from US South

Post by instillonight »

Hello everyone,
I'm just getting started in the hobby. My wife saw an ad for a cheap Chinese still, pot style with the open condensor on top. I searched online for cheap chinese stills and happened across George Duncan's yt. Ended up going with the 30l football looking column one after seeing his vid. Watched a bunch of his other vids. So now I have installed a water heater element with PID controller. And did a sweet potato ferment. In the meantime, I did a vinegar run first then the sweet potato mash. It turned out horrible. So looking to find out what I did wrong I found this forum. Also learned George isn't what he portrays himself to be, an expert. So many fakers ou there, MLM people, tv evangelists, Dr Oz, Dr Phil, etc, etc. Nothing to be done about them, so moving on. Turns out I made a pia sacrificial run of sweet potato vodka. Currently doing sugar wash, then probably a tpw, after that maybe a cracked corn mash if I can find some around here. Ultimately I want to make my own awesome bourbon. I did just order a copper parrot from Vengeance, on sale $55 shipped. Hope I am not breaking any rules by mentioning that.

Thanks for all the great info
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Hello from US South

Post by HDNB »

hi welcome in.

we don't really care for a lot of u-tube videos here, they have some ideas that are, how would you say? less than informative? we have recently bashed around the reasons a PID is a poor choice for a heat controller and how that, and some other ideas by george may cause more problems than solutions.

I hope you can take the time and search and learn the forums here, there truly is some great ideas and instructions on creating your perfect drop.

please enjoy the place!
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
rockcanyon
Novice

Post by rockcanyon »

Welcome to HD instillonight. I also have one of those "football looking" column stills, and although it won't impress anybody I am quite happy with how it works. Sounds like you've already been doing some reading which will serve you well.
"A man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest" - Paul Simon
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Welcome here do your self a favor and read and ask questions here screw YouTube
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
instillonight
Novice

Post by instillonight »

rockcanyon wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:31 am Welcome to HD instillonight. I also have one of those "football looking" column stills, and although it won't impress anybody I am quite happy with how it works. Sounds like you've already been doing some reading which will serve you well.
I'm a budget minded person myself. I appreciate the most bang for the buck. Although my sweet potato mash came out with a distinct tequila smell. Someone on reddit said they had that issue with this style still. It doesn't sound like you have that happening. So that is good to hear
HDNB wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 am hi welcome in.

we don't really care for a lot of u-tube videos here, they have some ideas that are, how would you say? less than informative? we have recently bashed around the reasons a PID is a poor choice for a heat controller and how that, and some other ideas by george may cause more problems than solutions.

I hope you can take the time and search and learn the forums here, there truly is some great ideas and instructions on creating your perfect drop.

please enjoy the place!
Thanks. I think I read on here you can program a pid to run based on a percentage of power supplied? Hopefully I can make it work. I unsubscribed from gd's yt. Usually it is easy to spot a douche but he seemed pretty legit. Oh well. Glad to be here now
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, agree with the other members comments. Enjoy the journey!
Vikthevet

Post by Vikthevet »

Welcome, I'm also a new member.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

George gives out endless bad advice....Im not supprised your booze turned out badly.
As already stated by others a PID is NOT the right tool for distilling.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You are in the right forum now . You will get no bad advice here . The members simply will not allow it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Welcome!
instillonight wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:25 am I'm a budget minded person myself. I appreciate the most bang for the buck. Although my sweet potato mash came out with a distinct tequila smell. Someone on reddit said they had that issue with this style still. It doesn't sound like you have that happening. So that is good to hear
To me, cheap tequila smells like bad cuts. I'm sure you can make good spirits with that still. I hope your pid has a power setting.

That said, seems like you did a lot of research already. I'm sure you'll make a good bourbon pretty soon!
instillonight
Novice

Post by instillonight »

Thanks. Turns out mypin pid td4 series has manual power control. I got the ta4 one, no power control. Looking at scr controllers on aliexpress. I want a 110v but all the wire diagrams are for 220v
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Start another thread if you have power controler questions and the controler geeks should be able to help.