Hello from Alberta

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hello from Alberta

Post by Dancing4dan »

Hello everyone,

Distilling is a recent interest after watching George on Barley and Hops. I built my own still and have done three runs with two more batches clearing at this time. Very happy with the results. Soak with toasted oak for four days, add a bit of glycerine and enjoy.

I have "roughly" followed Clawhammer's corn liquor recipe with great results. I add sugar to get the OG up to 1.090. Corn is hard to find here and now that I found a local Malt barley grower and supplier I am looking at new recipe.

One of the batches clearing is the Sweet feed recipe. Not sure I will do that again because I didn't enjoy the ferment on grain part. The sweet feed I found isn't ground or crushed. I am going to grind next time and see what kind of starch conversion I can get.

Thanks for the great site. I trolled for a bit checking out some info and thought it was time to sign up.

PS: Dancingdan is what I call my still. It wobbles a bit when the element comes on.
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hello from Alberta

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, not sure you found our Tried & True Recipe section but we have a lot of good and proven recipes.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Dancing4dan wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:17 pm Hello everyone,

Distilling is a recent interest after watching George on Barley and Hops. I built my own still and have done three runs with two more batches clearing at this time. Very happy with the results. Soak with toasted oak for four days, add a bit of glycerine and enjoy.

I have "roughly" followed Clawhammer's corn liquor recipe with great results. I add sugar to get the OG up to 1.090. Corn is hard to find here and now that I found a local Malt barley grower and supplier I am looking at new recipe.

One of the batches clearing is the Sweet feed recipe. Not sure I will do that again because I didn't enjoy the ferment on grain part. The sweet feed I found isn't ground or crushed. I am going to grind next time and see what kind of starch conversion I can get.

Thanks for the great site. I trolled for a bit checking out some info and thought it was time to sign up.

PS: Dancingdan is what I call my still. It wobbles a bit when the element comes on.
Welcome to HD!

Looking forward to seeing a pic of the dancing dan.

Surprised you can't find and corn... You guys grow something like 2 million tons of the the stuff every year.

Careful with your SG, 1.09 is definitely high, considering bringing it down to 1.07/1.08 and you'll get cleaner results.

Have fun, play safe.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Welcome, love the still name.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Welcome to the forum.

George is good at creating enthusiasm for distilling, but he is so new at the game that he is still promoting newbie ideas that experienced distillers tossed out long before he bought his first still. Don't spend money on his advice because you might have to park his recommended expensive equipment on the shelf and buy something cheaper that works better.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

“Enthusiasms” Remember that line from the Al Capone movie? Guy had a head ache!

George is OK. Everyone has a place in my world.
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!