Hello from New Zealand

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

jw890
Novice

Hello from New Zealand

Post by jw890 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am fairly new to the world of distilling I have had my still for roughly 3 months now.
However I have been brewing beer for the past decade and making the occasional wine. Distillation was always the next step but it felt out of reach until a friend helped me to get into the hobby properly!

I now have a 2inch column with a 25l kettle which can be run in reflux or pot still configurations.
My current focus is Gin however I would like to slowly grow into the making of Brandy and Whiskey as these are my spirits of choice!

Thanks for letting me into your community I am sure I will learn a lot and hopefully be able to pass knowledge on some day soon!

SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: Hello from New Zealand

Post by SassyFrass » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:46 pm

Hello and welcome. You've found the place with the information to help you on your journey. Start with Cranky's and go from there. The reading will help you make a better drop. Have fun and be safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:

SaltyStaves
Trainee

Post by SaltyStaves » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm

Welcome in.

If you haven't already, get yourself setup for fermenting 3-4 charges worth for your still. 25L is a lot of beer or wine, but its not nearly enough for whiskey or brandy.

NZChris
Master Distiller

Post by NZChris » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see another Kiwi here.

Cheers
Chris

Moggy
Novice

Post by Moggy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:37 pm

Welcome to the information highway.