Hello from Isle of Man!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Matavtr
Novice

Hello from Isle of Man!

Post by Matavtr »

Hello!

I am very new to distilling, I have done beer brewing before, but since trying distilling instead, I found it a more rewarding process and with more room for experimentation with wash recipes, different types of spirit flavourings, etc.

I only have an air still at the moment, so I’ve been experimenting and learning with it, trying the different recipes found here in the forum :)

I’ve already moved away mostly from the turbo yeast / carbon recipes, although I still use it every now and then when I need a fast ferment and neutral spirit to flavour.

I’m already planning on buying (building?) a proper still, but need a lot of learning first which I hope to find on this site :thumbup:

——

Matavtr
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Hello from Isle of Man!

Post by tombombadil »

There's plenty to learn on here, welcome!
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Welcome aboard
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Welcome and hello. You're in the right place to learn. Have fun and be safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Boozewaves
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

welcome to HD

in 07 I lived in Douglas for a while working . I went there for a holiday in 02 as well and saw the Manx grand prix , Laxey wheel , Fairy bridge , walked up Snaefell as well , good memories :D

I have never used turbo yeasts but I still use activated carbon in a gravity filter I made as I make neutral for vodka and infusions and so far I have only made it to a good enough standard to not need filtering twice (probably due to wash temperature fluctuations). I think carbon filtering is good as it can show you how good the neutral can be if you do everything right so it helped me up my game
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Matavtr
Novice

Post by Matavtr »

Boozewaves wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:53 am welcome to HD

in 07 I lived in Douglas for a while working . I went there for a holiday in 02 as well and saw the Manx grand prix , Laxey wheel , Fairy bridge , walked up Snaefell as well , good memories :D

I have never used turbo yeasts but I still use activated carbon in a gravity filter I made as I make neutral for vodka and infusions and so far I have only made it to a good enough standard to not need filtering twice (probably due to wash temperature fluctuations). I think carbon filtering is good as it can show you how good the neutral can be if you do everything right so it helped me up my game
Nice! Yeah I lived in Laxey for two yers, now in Onchan. I’m originally from Costa Rica.
EM Jellinek
Novice

Post by EM Jellinek »

My interest in distilling is purely academic.