Hi there and thanks!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Evil Diesel
Novice

Hi there and thanks!

Post by Evil Diesel »

Hey everyone!

I’ve been lurking on this forum for some time so I thought it was time to show myself, say hi and most importantly say thanks.

I am a teetotaller who loves cars, metalwork and solving problems. Although I don’t drink, I have the upmost respect for your craft, the skill set required to make potable spirits and the engineering that is involved. So why am I here?

I am a long-term biodiesel maker (12 years) and have recently built another machine that turns used engine oil into no.2 diesel. In theory, it is also capable of turning plastic into fuel with the right preparation. The reason I am here is that I have found this site as useful (if not more) than some fuel sites in how to operate distillation equipment.

My design is part pyrolysis, part pot still but operates most like the latter. I learned a great deal here like listening to the still, watching for rate of changes rather than actual temperatures and not to expect massive outputs all at once. I get sulphurous foreshots, diesel hearts and gaseous tails haha!

I am happy to post pictures for your interest / amusement and although I am not an artisan crafter, I might possibly be able to provide another point of view for problem solving.

My next project will be a well overdue Methanol recovery rig for the biodiesel plant which will also serve as an Ethanol fuel still. It will be similar to a column design but with disproportionate dimensions because my wash is glycerin based. From reading your comments in the fuel section and making my own calculations, I am fully aware it is not economically viable to make fuel Ethanol. However, I’m going to try it because I enjoy the process. Beats sitting around on an Xbox I suppose 😀

Once again, thanks very much and hello!
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: Hi there and thanks!

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome. You're coming from an interesting direction and viewpoint. I'm sure there will be ideas you can bring to the forum.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Dozingdruid
Novice

Post by Dozingdruid »

Welcome. :wave:

Agreed with sassy. You'll have some new and interesting ideas on problems we can only look at from one direction. Just remember we cant use all the materials that you can :ewink:
Distilling, gaming, woodworking, welding, electronics... I swear if I get one more hobby I'm going to have to quit my job.
Evil Diesel
Novice

Post by Evil Diesel »

Dozingdruid wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:18 am Welcome. :wave:

Agreed with sassy. You'll have some new and interesting ideas on problems we can only look at from one direction. Just remember we cant use all the materials that you can :ewink:
Absolutely. I’m happy to help solve problems, noting that I’m not a craft distiller and will make it clear that my materials are not suitable for doing so 👍
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome! I came to this hobby with both biodiesel and homebrewing backgrounds. I made biodiesel for a number of years from used fryer oil, and ran an older VW and Mercedes on it, after starting with straight veggie. I quit after fuel prices got lower, oil got scarcer, and I ruined an injector pump on my VW. Mostly driving VW diesels still. I enjoy driving up the coast and back getting over 50mpg.

You bring some interesting perspective to the group, and I'll be watching for your posts!

B
Evil Diesel
Novice

Post by Evil Diesel »

bilgriss wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:31 am Welcome! I came to this hobby with both biodiesel and homebrewing backgrounds. I made biodiesel for a number of years from used fryer oil, and ran an older VW and Mercedes on it, after starting with straight veggie. I quit after fuel prices got lower, oil got scarcer, and I ruined an injector pump on my VW. Mostly driving VW diesels still. I enjoy driving up the coast and back getting over 50mpg.

You bring some interesting perspective to the group, and I'll be watching for your posts!

B
Hi Bilgriss! I see you and I have a very similar background. I currently have a twin tank 03 VW and a gas vehicle for the summer😎. I can ‘just about’ save money making bio these days, nowhere near as much when waste oil was everywhere but I mostly do it for hobby reasons.

I have posted pictures and an explanation of the PyroStill in the fuel section as per forum rules so you are welcome to comment and ask questions 👍