New hobby during Dutch lockdown

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Vinna
Novice

New hobby during Dutch lockdown

Post by Vinna »

Hi all,

During lockdown here in The Netherlands I've picked up the casual hobby of experimenting with DIY alcohol. I'm starting with infusion and have 2 mixes seeping at the moment (Vodka/coffee/vanilla/hot peppers and gin/cacao/rosemary/pear).

Depending on the results I might move on to distilling eventually but for now I wanna see how this goes.

If anybody has any helpful tips or links for me to check out, it'd be very much appreciated. In particular how to sweeten the alcohol without OD'ing on the sugar.

Happy distilling everyone :D !

Nick
Kareltje
Distiller

Re: New hobby during Dutch lockdown

Post by Kareltje »

Ha Nick (van Simon??),

Interesting recipes you have. Where did you find them or are they invented by you?
On this forum you can find a lot of experience on all aspects of the hobby.

There are two fora in Dutch too: look for stookforum and for dutchdistillers. Might be handy for finding resources near your home.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome. You might want to look for the strawberry panty dropper recipe. It works with every fruit I've tried and folks love it. There are also many other recipes in the appropriate threads. Have fun with those too.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Vinna
Novice

Post by Vinna »

Kareltje wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am Ha Nick (van Simon??)
Hahaha if I had a penny for everytime somebody had asked me that
Interesting recipes you have. Where did you find them or are they invented by you?
I figured I'd start with 2 simple base spirits and combined some infusion recipes I found online with ingredients I like together in drinks

Just as a starting point to later further experiment off of
There are two fora in Dutch too: look for stookforum and for dutchdistillers. Might be handy for finding resources near your home.
Thanks for the tips, I'll check them out!

SassyFrass wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm Hello and welcome. You might want to look for the strawberry panty dropper recipe. It works with every fruit I've tried and folks love it. There are also many other recipes in the appropriate threads. Have fun with those too.
SF
Thanks! Not sure if this will fit my low/no sugar resolution but it sure sounds like a cool little project
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Sorry, I already thought it was a bad joke. :oops: