New to the forum

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

stevieg
Novice

New to the forum

Post by stevieg »

Hello all! I am new to the forum however I have been searching the forum for several months. A lot of good information on here. I am relatively new to distilling spirits but have been brewing craft beers for 7 years now. i built a still last July and have been having a lot of fun ever since. I started with 2 runs of sour mash whiskey from fresh corn and assorted grains. Turned out great! I did a bling tasting at of brew club meeting with several members and used jack Daniels, Jim beam Black and my Bourbon for the test. Mine was preferred 5 out of 6 for it's flavor and smoothness! I then moved on to Apple Brandy with similar results. My next project is Rhum Agricole which could be my undoing but will try regardless. I live in the mountains of Panama and one my neighbors grows sugar cane to make Raspadura and his is the best in the province. He has agreed to provide me with 5 gallons of fresh squeezed cane juice from his fields. I have also been able to secure a brick of SafSpirit C-70 yeast to do an open 72 hour ferment. So here we go, I will keep you posted. :D
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: New to the forum

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome to HD. If you ever want good safe recipes check out the tried and true thread. Plenty of other information to help you flatten the learning curve too. Have fun and be safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks: