Hello from the sunshine state

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Big_dog
Novice

Hello from the sunshine state

Post by Big_dog »

Just wanted to say hello. I’m an experienced beer/cider/wine maker, and have a good amount of all grain under my belt for beer. I have learned a ton reading and excited to get my setup complete.

So far I have my keg set up with a 5500watt ulwd element, controller, and a pot still head on the way from mile hi. Wish I would have done all this reading before pulling the trigger on purchasing the top, as it would have been fun and relatively easy to make, but the ease of use getting started is nice.

No big holes cut in the keg for cleaning or anything, because I don’t see how I can’t just rinse with a hose to clean. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Planning on a sugar wash for a sacrificial run and jumping to booners all corn from there. Will keep you all updated (as I’ve read all about the trouble with corn). Only sticky spot I foresee (no pun intended) is separating liquid from corn after ferment.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: Hello from the sunshine state

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome to HD. You said it. A pot still and/or thumper can be assembled from off the shelf parts pretty easily. Have fun and be safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
Cracker_Red52
Novice

Post by Cracker_Red52 »

Hello neighbor from the not so warm state today 😬
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard Bigdog.
Your not wrong.......just rinse and run again.
Big_dog
Novice

Post by Big_dog »

Good to know saltbush, thought I was missing something with all the modifications I’ve seen on some of the keg stills.
Cracker, I am loving this weather! Wish it would stay this way all year.

Thank you for all the welcomes!
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Welcome big_dog. Quite a few of us here in Florida
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Big_dog wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 am thought I was missing something with all the modifications
Heavily modified kegs seems to have evolved in relatively recent times, Lots of us kept it simple in the beginning and just ran standard keg. Was quite a while before I even had the luxury or a drain .....the novelty of dragging 3/4 full kegs out side to upend them on the lawn when its time to empty the hot slops wears thin fairly quickly.
Big_dog wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 am I am loving this weather! Wish it would stay this way all year.
Ripper weather for sure, loving it here too.
dieselduo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 pm Quite a few of us here in Florida
Is Florida known as the Sunshine State too ?
Big_dog
Novice

Post by Big_dog »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm
Is Florida known as the Sunshine State too ?
[/quote]

What other state is known as the sunshine state?

I was thinking about moving the keg around with hot water in it. Weight shouldn’t be an issue with those handy grips on kegs, but an extra 50$ at the welders would save hassle and lessen the risk of a few burns.
Starting to see the appeal of all those mods now.