New here

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Elliott2020
Novice

New here

Post by Elliott2020 »

Hey guys new home distiller here from ireland started distilling a while ago and have been looking for a community if like mided people to share ideas and interests. Currently at the minite i have a small 2 gallon pot still working of of a hot plate but i also have an 8gallon s/s collum still with copper reflux tops fitted in 4sections of the column a sight glass section to watch the magic hapen and a big ol gin basket up top for good measure before the condenser the boiler is fitter with a 3500w heating element using a potentiomete to controll temp also a dial temp probe in boiler and in condenser i use a sip 1" surface water pump for cooling using water from our water but i will add pictures when im setting up next time . with regards to washes im rather lazy as i like a neuteral spirit i use turbo yeasts and sugar for a fast turn around my fermenter is actually quite a sizeable 60l food grade barrell with n air lock fitted and heat belt with a hoodir for good measure as its been rather cold in ireland lately if you guys have any questions about my set up please ask and also any advice please throw my way it will be greately appreciated look forward to getting to know you guys and sharing tips and maybe "borrowing" some recipies thanks guys
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Re: New here

Post by BlackStrap »

Hello there Elliott2020 :wave:

Nice to have you aboard. sounds like you are well on your way...
This site has some great recipes in the Tried and True Recipe Book
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=96

Looking forward to getting to know you as well.

Have Fun and Stay Safe.
BlackStrap
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hey Elliott, welcome to HD!

Tons to read and learn here, enjoy the rabbit hole :)

Btw, re cold, if you want to trade please let me know. Hovering around -15c for the last two weeks here in Canada. Lol

Have fun, play safe!

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by SpeakEasy »

Welcome to HD! Ireland is on my top 5 bucket list places to visit. Hopefully I'll get to sooner rather than later.
The wise man has something to say. The fool has to say something.
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome to HD. Spent a little time in ireland back in the 80s. Interesting experience to say the least. Have fun and be safe.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

BlackStrap wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:23 am Hello there Elliott2020 :wave:

This site has some great recipes in the Tried and True Recipe Book
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=96

Looking forward to getting to know you as well.

Have Fun and Stay Safe.
:thumbup: +1

The Tried & True is definitely the way to go. You'll be hard pressed to come up with a question or problem that hasn't been encountered.

What (general) part of Ireland are you from?
Genealogy is another hobby of mine and I've identified some lines that go back to County Antrim, some of the last ones to "come across" in the 1820s. I know it's well up north but no idea of their religious/political persuasion. Other than to my knowledge, we're all Protestant.
(no offense to anyone!)