New guy

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

cqjeffb
Novice

New guy

Post by cqjeffb »

Hello all, my name is Jeff and I'm an American living in Hong Kong. I pretty much travel for a living (well, I did before CoVid). I've always had an interest in brewing / distilling but my travel and frequent relocations didn't really allow me to jump into it the way I wanted. Now, "thanks" to CoVid I've finally found the time to dig into distilling. This was really driven home when I had 3 weeks of quarantine upon returning to Hong Kong (21 days in a 15X15 room ... couldn't step out). Did a LOT of reading and video watching, started ordering supplies (which take 1-3 weeks for delivery to Hong Kong) and generally got hooked.

My interests are in vodka/neutral spirits and in rum. I was loaned an AirStill a few weeks back and have since distilled a few bottles of wine, one run of my home brewed hard apple cider and two runs of rum - one just black sugar / molassas and one black sugar, molassas and bananas. I ordered a 38L combo still from Distillex that was delivered this weekend and have a 5.5 gal batch of coconunt sugar and a 5.5 gal white sugar wash going now that I hope to try my hand on next week.

From background perspective, I've probably watched 50-75 hours of Georges videos, a dozen or two of Jesse's on Still It and a few of Bearded and Bored. I've also read Making Gin & Vodka by John Stone and I've gone through the spoon feeding page and links here (obviously haven't read everything there). I've done most of my mashes from the "tried and true" page here.

I have a few questions about a particular part that came with my Distillex still - I think it is a collector cup from Stone's "Hatstand" model. I'm unclear where this particular part goes in my still which is a 2" column still with packing topped by a reflux condenser that feeds a shotgun condenser. Just don't understand where a hatstand would fit into this setup. I can post a little clearer question, but am excited to get started with my first run of a "real" still. The AirStill was fun, but I'm ready for something more than 4L runs :).
Tater
Admin

Re: New guy

Post by Tater »

Welcome to HD lot info just ask in proper forums any questions .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

Hello and welcome to HD. Enjoy.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Welcome!
If you post your still questions in the appropriate forum, and include pictures, you'll get lots of responses.
B
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome aboard cqjeffb
cqjeffb wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm I've probably watched 50-75 hours of Georges videos,
Not a great way to start the hobby......there is every chance you have picked up a whole heap of bad information and bad distillation habits doing that.
That site is renowned for misinformation.
cqjeffb
Novice

Post by cqjeffb »

Was in 3 week lockdown ... it was YouTube, read or nothing. It's interesting that the engineer in me loves some of his advice but just can't wrap my head around other suggestions/guidance. I'm starting with vodka which is basically science before working my way to gin and rum which is definitely more art. Hopefully I'll find my way.
Ol_shiner
Novice

Post by Ol_shiner »

Hong Kong! I spent a lotta time there. Much different now, I’m sure. Watch your back, brother!