Hi all

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

mattyo786455
Novice

Hi all

Post by mattyo786455 »

Hi gang. Looking at making some scotch and rum. Friend of a friend has just gone full time with a new gin start up. So hopefully I'll hit him up in the future.

My first TPW wash (I cheated and added yeast nutrients as well) . Was probably finished in 2 weeks. But took me 4 to run it through my new boka reflux.
Did the vinegar run.
Only ran 10 litres of 5% through it for the Sacrificial.
But even that came out clear and about 92%
I'm stoked!
Tastes a bit like vodka and what I thought was fermented potato but I guess that taste is what alcohol tastes like.

I'm a bit scared to try it. But I'll run the other 20 litres this weekend and get some essence or wood... (or both).

Thanks to all for everything I've read on here.
mattyo786455
Novice

Re: Hi all

Post by mattyo786455 »

Oh.
I set my boiler at 105°c
It got to 94°c then sat there. Full reflux sat at 78.3°c (I think)
Sat there pretty steady.
Towards the end reflux temp rose slowly and boiler ended up at around 98°c

From what I've read . That all seems pretty standard.
Electric boiler at 1900W
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

mattyo786455 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:51 pm Only ran 10 litres of 5% through it for the Sacrificial.
But even that came out clear and about 92%
I'm stoked!
Tastes a bit like vodka and what I thought was fermented potato but I guess that taste is what alcohol tastes like.

I'm a bit scared to try it. But I'll run the other 20 litres this weekend and get some essence or wood... (or both).
Welcome to HD forum mattyo .
The the sacrificial run should never be tasted . . Run it and dump it . Its purpose is to clean out any crap from the still construction such as flux Residue.

Your next 20 litres is good to go ... do your cuts and taste away :thumbup:
mattyo786455
Novice

Post by mattyo786455 »

Thanks Yummyrum.
Yeah it was only a finger in the pot and rubbed on the lips.
Not a real taste.
mattyo786455
Novice

Post by mattyo786455 »

Got a 22litre run done last weekend.
Thought I'd stopped tails too soon as was still 48% alc but taste cuts stopped well before that jar
Let cuts sit for a week. Ended up with 2.9 litres of 40%alc after cuts & dilution.
Tails went from eh😐 to hot leather (best I can describe as a taste) it smelled okay but ditched it. 2 jars after this it was feint and almost reminded me of whisky but noped that too.

Heads. We're a bit harder. 2 jars were pretty chemically on the nose (but I can't drink anything straight as I get a burn up my nose) tasted like that smak I get from spirits so only used one of them..

Threw a honey bourbon essence on it and some sugar.
Then 100g American oak.
Tried some the next day and WOW!
Tastes just like the real thing. I thought the essence would be a bit crapy but wow!
I may not bother with a pot still if I can keep this up.
Thanks to everyone
mattyo786455
Novice

Post by mattyo786455 »

Didn't want to revive an old thread but i started reading Tater's response and just kept reading.

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... f=3&t=5042

... this should be put in the beginner pages and you have to pass a series of questions based on the above content.

After doing a few beers in the warmer months and dropping the spent grain in the bin a week later. Turning my nose up at the smell... but then going back for a 3rd or 5th smell. I kept the left over sparge water (i stoppped collecting at 1.010 for my beer) put this clear liquid in a sealed plastic drum. It's now a dark liquid (I'll use as dunder for my rum)
Added 4 litres to the sugar wash i had left over. And ran this through my detuned boka. Really happy with the result still pretty neutral but with the interesting sour grain note.
(It's currently on oak chips i had on my first bourbon) I'll probably use some whisky essence and see what happens