Hi Everybody!

New to distillation, or simply new to the HD forums.
** Your first post MUST go here. Introduce yourself and tell us a bit about your interest in distilling. Any posts asking distilling questions will be deleted. **

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tollesburygin
Novice

Hi Everybody!

Post by Tollesburygin »

Hi all from East Anglia in the UK !

I’ve dabbled with wine and beer in my college years, but 30 years on my tastes have changed. Having spent a fair fortune on Gin over the past few years, I thought I’d give my own a go. So I bought a T500 , buckets, carbon, sugar and a load of other bits and bobs that came with the beginners bundle and currently have my first ‘Turbo wash’ bubbling away - it seems this is not overly popular though - hey, we live and learn.

Looking forward to firing the still up and learning how to do this Gin thing properly.

Thanks for having me.

Adam
Bushman
Admin

Re: Hi Everybody!

Post by Bushman »

Welcome, we are still living and learning (the beauty of this hobby). Good luck and be safe!
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Welcome Tolles.
There are plenty of traps for new players in this game, Homebrew suppliers selling things that dont work well or dont work as well as other cheaper things do is just one of them. Turbo yeast is another of them.
Look through our Tried and True Recipe section for wash recipes that will not only be cheaper but make much better spirit.
When you say you bought a T500....is that a reflux still or the pot still head?........you will need both to make Gin.
A pot head is easy to make yourself.
Tollesburygin
Novice

Post by Tollesburygin »

Thanks saltbush, will check out the other recipes for sure, first batch of turbo was fairly overpowering to say the least! I have the reflux head currently, looks like I’m gonna need the Alembic as well 😬
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Alembic is the "Fancy Marketing" word that still spirits use for a pot still head........you can make one for 1/4 the price.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:05 am Alembic is the "Fancy Marketing" word that still spirits use for a pot still head........you can make one for 1/4 the price.
Thats a sad but true fact Salty . and marketing sells . ... but really , that big copper dome won’t make any improvement to your booze that a copper liebig you could attach to the T500 lid can do .

Welcome to HD forum Tolle :thumbup:
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

You n I both know that Yummy , shame a lot of Newbs don't know though, its marketing at its worst/ best ...depending on who's angle you look at it from.
It pisses me off A LOT that people new to the hobby are tricked into buying things that are not what they seem by dodgy marketing strategies. :thumbdown:
Rant over :silent:
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Yeah, but we have the chance to put them on the right path after they come here!

Welcome Tolles. Read, read, read & get educated (I'm still working on both of those almost a year in). The search tool in the blue bar at the top of your screen will be a good friend. Or you can search via google: [enter subject matter] + homedistiller

For example: gin recipe + homedistiller

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Setsumi
Distiller

Post by Setsumi »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:14 am You n I both know that Yummy , shame a lot of Newbs don't know though, its marketing at its worst/ best ...depending on who's angle you look at it from.
It pisses me off A LOT that people new to the hobby are tricked into buying things that are not what they seem by dodgy marketing strategies. :thumbdown:
Rant over :silent:
but a true alembic.... i want one in 80lt.

My first flute
My press
My twins
My controller
My wife tells me I fell from heaven covered in white. Why did they let me fall?